amacgregor
Elixir Noob here, I’m looking for advice about GenStage and some general guidelines when designing systems with Elixir.
At a high level, I’m looking to build a system where the end-user can modify/select each stage of a data pipeline, the start and end of said pipeline will always be the same, but the end user can add/activate a new stage that will do the additional computation.
Will using GenStage and the Flow module be a good fit for the usage I described? if so any examples or advice anyone can offer in regards to the implementation?
Cheers!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
Your description of the problem is very vague to say if GenStage or Flow is a good fit. I would first worry about writing the application and business domain. As an Elixir beginner, there are a couple things you would need to learn before dynamically managing GenStage pipelines, such as managing simple processes, and you can reevaluate later if you need the performance characteristics or the backpressure provided by GenStage.
To put it shortly, start with the simplest abstraction until you are familiar and you are sure you need more complex ones.
amacgregor
Thank you Jose, then I’ll do as you advice and go work on my basics before jumping into GenStage
English3000
I.e.
GenServerhandles single events.GenStagehandles a chain of events. Right?LostKobrakai
Not really. GenStage servers are just GenServers as well, but they have some extra functionality build on top for handling events in a chain of producers and consumers (or producer/consumers which do both things), reducing the boilerplate needed to set those up. Flow is another layer of abstraction on top of that which handles common cases like faning out to multiple processes and reducing those back at a later stage.
All this could be done using plain GenServers as well, but you’d need to write a ton more code to wire things up. Also each of those servers, be it a genserver or genstage instance still works syncronously on it’s own events. It’s multiple of those servers, which makes things async.