mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Prior to v1.18.0 I used the following vode to reach the struct definition in a module from __before_compile__/2 callback.

    defp fields(module) do
      module
      |> Module.get_attribute(:__struct__, %{})
      |> Map.delete(:__struct__)
      |> Map.keys()
    end

I know that’s the undocumented, internal feature, but I did not manage to find a better way of doing this. In v1.18.0 this :__struct__ module attribute has gone. By digging down the rabbit hole, I managed to do the following:

    defp fields(module) do
      with {set, _bag} <- module |> :elixir_module.data_tables(),
           true <- :ets.member(set, {:elixir, :struct}),
           [{{:elixir, :struct}, [_ | _] = fields}] <- :ets.lookup(set, {:elixir, :struct}) do
        for %{field: field} <- fields, do: field
      end
    end

While it works, it looks extremely hacky and might break again tomorrow. Is there the correct way of doing that that I am missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d unimport Kerner.defstruct, import your own wrapper (I expect you have a use MyModule) and have it persist the information you need in a way your before compile callback can access the information.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa OP

Creator of Cure

I hate to imply limitations like “you must use This” before calling a standard library macro defstruct/1 onto the user. I expect the code below to work smoothly

defstruct [:foo, :bar]

use MyModule

In any case, I expect to be able to get a struct definition from the __before_compile__/2 callback, and I find the necessity to hack it quite disturbing.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Apologies for a likely uninformed question but don’t compilation tracers give you what you need? One of them is this:

  • {:struct_expansion, meta, module, keys} - traced whenever module’s struct is expanded. meta is the struct AST metadata and keys are the keys being used by expansion
LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This function is also capable of expanding structs defined under the module being compiled.

That might be the new way to go then based on the changelog.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa OP

Creator of Cure

Thanks a ton! I must have been reading the changelog without a brain involved.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa OP

Creator of Cure

Sure they would, but attaching a tracer to get a list of struct keys looks like an overkill to me.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

And if you need to support previous versions, there is Macro.struct!.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews