vrod

vrod

I encountered this interesting thing while trying to add more info to Logger messages.

I can get the version of an app by running something like this:

:myapp
        |> Application.spec()
        |> Keyword.get(:vsn)
        |> List.to_string()

However, I thought this calculation maybe is expensive, so I tried to save this at compile time by putting it into a module attribute:

@app_ver :myapp
        |> Application.spec()
        |> Keyword.get(:vsn)
        |> List.to_string()

However I have noticed that Application.spec/1 returns nil at compile time. Is there a way to read and store an application version at compile time? Or is the version only known AFTER compilation?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

You cannot access the application spec because your application is being compiled. Fortunately, you can access information about your Mix project like this:

defmodule Foo do
  IO.inspect(Mix.Project.config()[:version])
end
vrod

vrod OP

Thank you! Is it possible to also get versions of dependencies?

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

You can grab information about your deps in that project config too.

I believe the dep apps are automatically loaded (if not, you can Application.load/1 them) so you can definitely call Application.spec/1 and it will work :slight_smile:

vrod

vrod OP

thank you, that was the trick!

vrod

vrod OP

Oiy, is almost working – this does not work for mix compile
maybe I have to do something in application start?

ityonemo

ityonemo

your MixProject module is nothing special, it’s a module like any other (I mean aside from the fact that it’s only available at compile time). Make the deps/0 function public instead of private, and you’re good to go.

ityonemo

ityonemo

it just occurred to me that won’t tell you what the version is, just what version you wanted. You could also read the mix.lock file using Code.eval_file/1

vrod

vrod OP

Ah, of course I did not think of this!

"mix.lock"
  |> Code.eval_file()
  |> Tuple.to_list()
  |> Enum.at(0)
  |> Enum.reduce(%{}, fn
    {app, {:hex, _, version, _, _, _, _, _}}, acc ->
      Map.put(acc, app, version)

    {app, {:git, _, _, [{_, version}]}}, acc ->
      Map.put(acc, app, version)
  end)

However this has lots of warnings: warning: found quoted keyword "jason" but the quotes are not required.

Is there a way to avoidthose?

Is this on purpose that the mix.lock contains bad format? Shouldn’t have no quotes for keys or use =>?

vrod

vrod OP

I found solution to this: just add mix.lock to .formatter.exs:

[
  inputs: ["{mix,.formatter}.exs", "{config,lib,test}/**/*.{ex,exs}", "mix.lock"]
]

and then the above works!

ityonemo

ityonemo

you may want to use elem/2 instead of Tuple.to_list |> Tuple.at

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews