benswift

benswift

I’ve got an AshPhoenix app which needs to make authenticated HTTP requests to other APIs. I’m using Req.

These requests need an auth token, which I’m currently storing as a field on the User resource (the resource was originally created as part of the AshAuthentication setup).

The req “call site” is several layers deep in application code, and I’d like to avoid having to pass the auth/user info through all those layers if at all possible. So I’d like to be able to pull the current_user assign from the current session as close as possible to where I create (and perform) the Req.Request.

I’ve tried Ash.PlugHelpers.get_context as a :plug option in Req, but that returns nil because that’s the conn that Req is using, not the conn from the current user session.

There used to be (in Ash v2) a way of getting the current context (including actor from the process dict, but it doesn’t seem like that’s possible anymore? is there an alternative?

Sorry that’s all kindof abstract. I can fake up some minimal examples if you need me to.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

jackalcooper

jackalcooper

Does the library you are using support putting a custom client? I was trying to do some response rewrite for the library InstructorLite that is using req, so I add something like

defmodule MyClient do
  def post(url, opts) do
    case Req.post(url, opts) do
      ... rewrite response
      ... you can get the pid here I guess

and set the custom client option adapter_context: [http_client: MyClient,

benswift

benswift OP

Yeah so you mean create a custom client that puts/gets stuff from the process dict like the old “Store Process in Context” stuff used to do?

I tracked down the docs page for that stuff, it was deleted in d55864713a32 but the commit message didn’t have a specific rationale - I presume it was just a general “using process dicts for state is gross and probably makes parallel testing hard” vibes.

Anyway, thanks for your idea - I’m honestly thinking that the best option is to rearchitect my code so that there’s fewer layers of indirection between the action (where I do know the actor) and the code that creates the Req.Request struct (where I need the auth token).

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

This is what I’d recommend.

benswift

benswift OP

Thanks. That’s what I did. As an added bonus testing is easier :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews