Mukulch15

Mukulch15

I am trying to parse the following XML doc using SweetXML library.

<A>
    <B>23</B>
    <B>34</B>
    <B></B>
</A>

However when I try to parse the document using: xpath(~x"/A/B/text()"l)
I get the response ['23', '34']. Is there anyway I can get the list with nil value for the element having no text ? The response that I expect is: ['23', '34', nil] .

Showing Posts 1 to 8

NobbZ

NobbZ

As I understand your xpath you are explicitly asking for the text, but since there is non, you won’t get it in the result.

Mukulch15

Mukulch15 OP

Thanks for the response. But is there any way around this ? It will be really helpful even if I can get the count of all B elements. That way I can compare with the length of the list and figure out how many such elements are there.

hassan

hassan

Why not just get the elements and parse them yourself?

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Looking through the SweetXML docs I don’t see a way to get empty nodes so you’re probably best off asking the maintainer directly.

Mukulch15

Mukulch15 OP

So I was able to find two methods of achieving the required result.

  1. stream_tags(xmldoc, :B) |> Stream.map( fn {:B, doc} -> doc |> SweetXml.xpath(~x"./text()") end) |> Enum.to_list

  2. xpath(xml, ~x"//A/B"l, number: ~x"text()") |> Enum.map(fn %{number: number} -> number end)
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

tangui

tangui

The following XPath expression will return the string representation of your B elements:

/A/B/string()

or

/A/B/number()

if you’re expecting a number (NaN will be returned in the “empty” ,B/> case). You can test it here: Free Online XPath Tester / Evaluator - FreeFormatter.com

Haven’t tested with SweetXML though.

Mukulch15

Mukulch15 OP

Thanks a lot. I found some solutions to the question and posted them here. They seem to be working.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For note, Meeseeks follows the same pattern for XPath queries:

iex(14)> doc = Meeseeks.parse(xmlString, :xml)
#Meeseeks.Document<{...}>

iex(15)> Meeseeks.all(doc, xpath("/A/B/text()"))
[#Meeseeks.Result<{ 23 }>, #Meeseeks.Result<{ 34 }>]

iex(16)> Meeseeks.all(doc, xpath("/A/B")) |> Enum.map(&Meeseeks.one(&1, xpath("text()")))
[#Meeseeks.Result<{ 23 }>, #Meeseeks.Result<{ 34 }>, nil]

iex(17)> Meeseeks.all(doc, xpath("/A/B")) |> Enum.map(&Meeseeks.text(&1))                
["23", "34", ""]
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews