stjefim

stjefim

Hello!

I want to “save function” (module, name, arity) to the database to be able to call it later, potentially after BEAM was restarted. My plan is to use Functions.capture(module, function_name, arity) to be able to call the function after “loading” from the database.

How can I obtain module, function name and arity from a function capture (e.g. &MyModule.my_function/0) to “save function”? I have found Functions.info(fun) function, however, the documentation has a note saying that it should be used for debug only. What are the reasons it is debug only? What are the alternatives?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not sure I follow. You have the module, the function name and the arity beforehand, why use the result of Function.capture result at all? Why not cut out the middleman and just store those 3 pieces in the DB? :thinking:

stjefim

stjefim OP

Not sure if I understood you correctly, but here is the clarification. I plan to use Functions.capture to “load function” from the database. My problem is how to “store function” to the database from the Elixir code, i.e. I want to write a function function_to_string(f) which can be called like this function_to_string(&MyModule.my_function/0) and would return [module: "MyModule", name: "my_function", arity: 0]" and this result I would store in the database.

So to answer your question - I agree I just need to store these 3 pieces in the DB, however, how to obtain them from a function capture.

bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

Hey @stjefim, are you aware of Kernel.apply/3?

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

I don’t think there is a general solution as function can be anonymous. Also, storing function in a db may not be the best idea. Code will change, db record last for a long time. Also, think of the security implication.

stjefim

stjefim OP

Thank you, it will be useful after “loading function” - no need to do Functions.capture.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You want to store the function’s bytecode itself in the DB? :thinking:

I still don’t get your requirement.

stjefim

stjefim OP

I agree with all your points:

  • I will not support anonymous functions.
  • Haven’t thought about versioning yet, but not a big problem for me.
  • Agreed - but can do some validation to allow only certain functions to be called.
stjefim

stjefim OP

No, I will not store byte code in DB. My requirement is to convert function capture, e.g. &MyModule.my_function/0 into module name as string, function name as string and function arity as integer.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

That’s not possible. Because you can’t turn a function value back to MFA, just like you can’t turn a value back to the variable name.

You can store the function value itself though:

binary = :erlang.term_to_binary(&MyModule.my_function/0)
# store in db
fun = :erlang.binary_to_term(binary)
fun.()

However, as I mentioned above, that’s a big foot gun.

jswanner

jswanner

The underlying Erlang function docs says it’s “mainly” for debugging:

This BIF is mainly intended for debugging, but it can sometimes be useful in library functions that need to verify, for example, the arity of a fun.

That said, the :telemetry library uses it to verify you supply an external function as a handler.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews