kartheek

kartheek

I am creating a syntax highlighter component using Phoenix.Component and Makeup

defmodule Indy.Bootstrap.Code do
 use Phoenix.Component
 import Indy.Bootstrap.AssignUtils

 def highlight(assigns) do
   makeup_code = 
     Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex(assigns[:code] || "")
     |> Makeup.Formatters.HTML.HTMLFormatter.format_inner_as_binary([])
   assigns = assign(assigns, :makeup_code, makeup_code)
   ~H"""
<pre class="chroma"><code class="language-html"><%= Phoenix.HTML.raw(@makeup_code) %></code></pre>
   """ 
 end
end

Using above component, I have to pass code snippet using code attribute.

<.hightlight code="<h1>This is a heading</h1>"></.highlight>

I want to pass code as inner_block. But I am unable to figure out how to access the inner_block as string.

<.hightlight>
<h1>This is a heading</h1>
</.highlight>

Any pointers or help on how can I achieve this?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kartheek

kartheek OP

Solved using the following code

render_slot(@inner_block) 
|> Phoenix.HTML.html_escape() 
|> Phoenix.HTML.safe_to_string()
|> Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex() 
|> Makeup.Formatters.HTML.HTMLFormatter.format_inner_as_binary([]) 
|> Phoenix.HTML.raw()

I am using &lt; and &gt; as escape characters for embedding live view component code.

<.highlight>
  <h1>This is heading</h1>
  <p> This is a paragraph</p>
  &lt;.alert primary&gt;&lt;/.alert&gt;
</.highlight>

will render as

I am replacing &lt; to < and &gt; to > inside Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex.

Finally code will look something like this.

defmodule Indy.Bootstrap.Code do
  use Phoenix.Component
  import Indy.Bootstrap.AssignUtils

  def highlight(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <pre class="chroma"><code class="language-html"><%= 
      render_slot(@inner_block) 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.html_escape() 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.safe_to_string() 
      |> Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex() 
      |> Makeup.Formatters.HTML.HTMLFormatter.format_inner_as_binary([]) 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.raw() %></code></pre>
    """
  end
end

Let me know if you have any other solution or you see problems with this approach.

kartheek

kartheek OP

I had a hard time getting the syntax highlighter to work using makeup - had to spend a lot of time understanding makeup and makeup_html. I have used syntax highlighters like highlight.js, Pygments, Prism.js in the past.

Pygments is an inspiration for makeup - but the output differs between both. makeup_html lexer generates tokens slightly differently when compared Pygments. I had logged couple of bugs on makeup_html repository.

I had to modify the default lexer add a function to lex non standard html elements - Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex.

Leaving these notes here so that others can save some time if they have to highlight code using makeup and phoenix components

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d suggest moving the formatting out of the heex sigil:

  def highlight(assigns) do
    formatted = 
      assigns.inner_block
      |> render_slot() 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.html_escape() 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.safe_to_string() 
      |> Makeup.Lexers.Bootstrap.HTMLLexer.lex() 
      |> Makeup.Formatters.HTML.HTMLFormatter.format_inner_as_binary([]) 
      |> Phoenix.HTML.raw()

    assigns = assign(assigns, :formatted, formatted)

    ~H"""
    <pre class="chroma"><code class="language-html"><%= @formatted %></code></pre>
    """
  end

Besides being easier to maintain it should also make it clear that the formatted code is not granularly change tracked when used in LiveView.

kartheek

kartheek OP

I am afraid the above code does not work - render_slot() macro expansion outside of ~H will fail with the following message:

== Compilation error in file lib/indy_bootstrap/bootstrap/code.ex ==
** (CompileError) lib/indy_bootstrap/bootstrap/code.ex:8: undefined variable "changed" (context Phoenix.LiveView.Engine)
    (elixir 1.13.0) expanding macro: Kernel.var!/2
    (indy_bootstrap 0.1.0) lib/indy_bootstrap/bootstrap/code.ex:8: Indy.Bootstrap.Code.highlight/1
    (phoenix_live_view 0.17.5) expanding macro: Phoenix.LiveView.Helpers.render_slot/1
    (indy_bootstrap 0.1.0) lib/indy_bootstrap/bootstrap/code.ex:8: Indy.Bootstrap.Code.highlight/1
    (elixir 1.13.0) expanding macro: Kernel.|>/2
    (indy_bootstrap 0.1.0) lib/indy_bootstrap/bootstrap/code.ex:13: Indy.Bootstrap.Code.highlight/1
Compiling 1 file (.ex)

Thank you @LostKobrakai I get your point - i had written similar code for other components.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews