Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip

I am writing a new (sub)task for the hex client, which I have some trouble testing.

The task has some output, using which I need to make a HTTP POST request (in the test).
The task will only complete after I make the HTTP request.

Now, how do I get the mix output so far, so that I can write tests for this task.

I have noticed that in the hex tests that prompt inputs are mocked as follows:

https://github.com/hexpm/hex/blob/main/test/mix/tasks/hex.user_test.exs#L53-L57

Perhaps I can send a :mix_shell_output msg and receive a response?

PS: I also didn’t find any docs for this idiom.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

It seems to be Mix-specific thing:

def prompt(message) do
  print_app()
  send(process(), {:mix_shell, :prompt, [message]})

  receive do
    {:mix_shell_input, :prompt, response} -> response
  after
    0 -> raise "no shell process input given for prompt/1"
  end
end

Not sure how internal this is, but seems like something that you can use to mock user input.

Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip OP

I think you misunderstood. I want the mix shell output. Thanks anyway!

Benjamin-Philip

Benjamin-Philip OP

I talked to Eric (@ericmj) about this.

Turns out that all mix shell output is sent to the test process.
That means I can for example do things like this:

recieve do
  {:mix_shell, :info, [msg | _ ]} -> IO.inspect(msg)
end

Or an assert_recieved:

assert_received {:mix_shell, :info, ["Some description\n"]}

Do note that I am unsure if this solution is hex specific or not.

stefanchrobot

stefanchrobot

Sorry for the confusion. I did misread the question. Seems Mix.Shell.Process is exactly what you need:

This is mainly useful in tests, allowing us to assert if given messages were received or not instead of performing checks on some captured IO. Since we need to guarantee a clean slate between tests, there is also a flush/1 function responsible for flushing all :mix_shell related messages from the process inbox.

It’s not Hex-specific at all.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews