spicychickensauce

spicychickensauce

File.stat gives me a pretty useless value for ctime. As documented it is “the last time the file or the inode was changed“.
Using stat via bash gives me a correct creation time via the Birth field.

I understand why that’s the case, as Elixir just calls out to :file.read_file_info and the birth field is a somewhat recent thing in Linux and I could not find a way to read it yet from Erlang.

Does anyone know of a way to get that field without shelling out to bash? Is there maybe a package that has implemented a NIF for that?

Or do I need to write my own NIF?
If so, Rust seems to get this one right: Metadata in std::fs - Rust

Showing Posts 1 to 8

camatcode

camatcode

I don’t know a particular NIF for you; but I’m wondering about the “shelling out to bash part”. I don’t know the harm in just using System.cmd

    {result, _exit} = System.cmd("stat", ["/home/cam/hello"])

    %{"Birth" => birth} =
      result
      |> String.split("\n")
      |> Enum.reject(&(&1 == ""))
      |> Map.new(fn line ->
        [key, value] =
          line
          |> String.trim()
          |> String.split(":", parts: 2)

        {key, value |> String.trim()}
      end)

    assert "2025-09-06 10:12:29.200959233 -0400" == birth
spicychickensauce

spicychickensauce OP

Thanks. But I need to get this not just for a single file, but as part of a file scanner.
Performance is key. I haven’t benchmarked yet, but I doubt actually calling stat + parsing is a viable option for me.

garrison

garrison

Huh, apparently they added a new syscall (statx) with this information. It’s also safe for 2038.

Does Erlang use that call underneath? If not, maybe it should going forward?

joram

joram

It does not, it calls fstat. It looks like on Windows the ctime is the same as Rust’s created.

spicychickensauce

spicychickensauce OP

Yeah, I wouldn’t call 2017 new, but I guess new enough that it’s not in all standard libraries yet.
Python also doesn’t have it, but ruby, node, rust and zig do.

Anyway, I went ahead with the plan and created a small rustler NIF:
https://github.com/spicychickensauce/file_statx

Now I just need to figure out how to publish this to hex such that a user doesn’t need to compile the thing?
Looks like rustler_precompiled is the way to go.

garrison

garrison

I was quite surprised Python didn’t have it; they usually have everything. Apparently there has been an open issue/PR for several years now. Strangely it seems to have become active again recently.

A nif seems like the way to go but maybe also consider opening an Erlang/OTP issue as this seems like something that should be updated to me. At least before 2038 :slight_smile:

spicychickensauce

spicychickensauce OP

Package is published: file_statx | Hex :tada:

(Setting up rustler_precompiled in CI took me so long, I hate setting up CI stuff…)

Done :+1:

garrison

garrison

The issue for future reference (if only the WWW could have had backlinks).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews