paulsabou

paulsabou

gettext_llm

What does it do?

The gettext_llm library allows you to translate all Gettext PO folders/files in your project using any LLM endpoint supported by langchain. The library provides several mix tasks that can be run directly in your Elixir/Phoenix project from the command line (ie. locally on the dev machine) or part of a CI/CD pipeline.

Translating from one language to another requires the translator to be accurate and to maintain a consistent tone/persona and style. Scaling these to multiple languages is challenging. Automated translation with LLM’s provide a “good enough” alternative in many use cases.

gettext_llm provides configurable tone/persona and style. This allows you to “shape” your resulting translations into something that is compatible with your app audience & brand.

How to add it to your Elixir/Phoenix project?

1. Add it as a dev dependency in your mix.exs

def deps do
  [
      {:gettext_llm, "0.1.9", only: [:dev, :test]}
  ]
end

2. Add a few lines in your config.exs

config :gettext_llm, GettextLLM,
  # ignored_languages: ["en"] <--- Optional but good to skip translating your reference language
  persona:
    "You are translating messages for a website that connects people needing help with people that can provide help. You will provide translation that is casual but respectful and uses plain language.",
  style:
    "Casual but respectul. Uses plain plain language that can be understood by all age groups and demographics.",
  endpoint: LangChain.ChatModels.ChatOpenAI,
  endpoint_model: "gpt-4",
  endpoint_temperature: 0,
  endpoint_config: %{
    "openai_key" =>
      "<YOUR_OPENAI_KEY>",
    "openai_org_id" => "<YOUR_ORG_ID>"
  }

3. Run the task

mix gettext_llm.translate translate

Key Features

  • Built on top of langchain so you can use different LLM endpoints
  • No runtime dependencies (it’s just a mix task)
  • Configurable tone/persona and style

Links:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews