pejrich

pejrich

I was updating my Rustler from 0.25 to 0.27, and when I ran mix deps.get, I got the following message which i’ve not seen before. Usually when there’s a dependency mismatch, it’ll state which packages are clashing and over what version they disagree. But this doesn’t have any of that info. I tried removing my mix.lock, and runnning mix deps.clean. If I remove rustler entirely from my mix.exs then it’ll run, and if my rustler is 0.25 it’ll run, but when I set it to 0.27 it fails.

Mix.ex

...
{:rustler, "~> 0.27.0"},
...
$ mix deps.get
Resolving Hex dependencies...
Resolution completed in 0.03s
Because your app depends on rustler empty which doesn't match any versions, version solving failed.
** (Mix) Hex dependency resolution failed

I can’t add the bold and code formatting, but the error message appears like this: “Because your app depends on rustler empty which doesn’t match any versions, version solving failed.”

EDIT:

It also happens if I try to change {:httpoison, "~> 1.0"}, to {:httpoison, "~> 2.0"},

Because your app depends on httpoison empty which doesn’t match any versions, version solving failed.

Also, your app here is verbatim, not something i’ve replaced to generalize it.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

BradS2S

BradS2S

One possible solution is to run mix deps.clean rustler or mix deps.clean httpoison to remove any existing build artifacts, then run mix deps.get again to fetch the latest compatible versions of the packages.

pejrich

pejrich OP

Hmm, no luck. I’m not sure that’s any different than the mix deps.clean I already tried, which I assume just cleans all deps.

pejrich

pejrich OP

If I add override: true to both rustler and httpoison it does finally work, but i’m still unsure why it was caused or how to fix it properly

BradS2S

BradS2S

I’m guessing one of your transitive dependencies is asking for a version of a direct dependency that Mix sees as having no middle ground.

For the masochistic there’s always: mix deps.tree

Nicd

Nicd

This was seen on IRC yesterday also, pasting the relevant logs:

10:47:42 <Nicd> I was suspicious of that error message but it’s literally what you said :smiley: https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/G9t4aRmi/Screenshot%202023-03-09%20at%2010.47.17.png

10:48:13 <josevalim> Nicd: this is a bug in the hex resolver, i will investigate

10:54:04 <josevalim> here is a minimal example that reproduces the phoenix empty bug:

10:54:07 <josevalim> Snippet | IRCCloud

10:55:58 <josevalim> serafeim: i know what is happening. the scrivener_html does not allow phoenix 1.7. so there is an error but the error message is unclear

So I guess there are conflicting package requirements (some other package doesn’t allow that version of rustler or httpoison), but the error message is bugged.

dustinfarris

dustinfarris

opened a pr to bump phoenix dep in scrivener_html

https://github.com/mgwidmann/scrivener_html/pull/109

cc @josevalim

fchabouis

fchabouis

I see the bump to Phoenix 1.6 is still not in a release…
https://github.com/mgwidmann/scrivener_html/pull/97

arbaz_asif

arbaz_asif

override: true also worked for me

karolsluszniak

karolsluszniak

For me it was a local dependency added using path: "vendor/some-dep" in deps in mix.exs. It had a conflicting requirement and it resulted in <dep> empty from mix deps.get. Btw mix deps.tree did help to nail it down so thx @BradS2S!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews