martinlev

martinlev

Hi guys,

I am playing around with phoenix 1.4 channels, everything works well in local (of course), but I am unable to make channels work when deployed online (http://eerf.fr.openode.io/ the web socket connection always get 400 status code) with reverse proxies.

I have an NGINX → docker container setup and my NGINX server have the proper upgrade settings for web sockets:

 upstream backendeerfhttp {
    server 127.0.0.1:64193;
  }

  server {
      listen       80;
      server_name  eerf.fr.openode.io;

      location / {
          proxy_pass http://backendeerfhttp;
          proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade; 
          proxy_set_header Connection "Upgrade";
          proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For   $remote_addr;
          proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP         $remote_addr;
          proxy_set_header        Host              $host;
          proxy_set_header Access-Control-Allow-Origin *;
          proxy_read_timeout 900;
      }
  }

I have another simple test web socket (in Node.js) to make sure NGINX is set up properly for web socket here and it works if you check the networks connection (chrome) - http://wssimpletest.fr.openode.io/.

I have the following endpoint config in prod.exs

config :eerf, EerfWeb.Endpoint,
  http: [:inet6, port: System.get_env("PORT") || 4000],
  check_origin: ["//localhost", "//eerf.fr.openode.io"],
  url: [host: "eerf.fr.openode.io", port: 80]#,

From js I connect via let socket = new Socket(“/socket”, {params: {token: window.userToken}})
and in networks connection I can see it tries to connect correctly to ws://eerf.fr.openode.io/socket/websocket?token=undefined&vsn=2.0.0

The server logs show the following

20:45:43.091 [info] CONNECT EerfWeb.UserSocket
  Transport: :websocket
  Connect Info: %{}
  Parameters: %{"token" => "undefined", "vsn" => "2.0.0"}
20:45:43.091 [info] Replied EerfWeb.UserSocket :ok

But strangely NGINX always returns 400 bad requests. The code is available over here GitHub - martinlevesque/eerf · GitHub

Any idea what could the issue or any idea to better debug?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 1

martinlev

martinlev OP

Just found out that the exact missing setting was to force http 1.1 (i’m just testing without ssl for now): “proxy_http_version 1.1”.

as in:

location / {
          proxy_http_version 1.1; # <------------------------------
          proxy_pass http://localhost:some-port-here;
          proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
          proxy_set_header Connection "Upgrade";
          proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For   $remote_addr;
          proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP         $remote_addr;
          proxy_set_header        Host              $host;
          proxy_set_header Access-Control-Allow-Origin *;
          proxy_read_timeout 900;
      }
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews