Ryzey

Ryzey

I know that uniq/1 & uniq_by/2 return a list of unique values, but what is the best way to get a list of duplicate values?

I noticed that the code for uniq & uniq_by could easily collect a list of duplicates while unique values are collected; so I copied this code and modified it to return a tuple with a list of unique values and a list of duplicates.

But have I missed some existing functionality to do this?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

NobbZ

NobbZ

Nope. And I have never missed a function that returns the duplicates. If I really have need to know count or duplicates, I usually just do something like this (even though its probably not the most efficient way):

list
|> Enum.group_by(&(&1))
|> Enum.filter(fn {_, [_,_|_]} -> true; _ -> false end)
|> Enum.map(fn {x, _} -> x end)
jfeng

jfeng

Agree with NobbZ, I don’t know of any built in functionality for this.

The most efficient way I know to do it is what it sounds like you’ve already done:

def duplicates(list) do
  acc_dupes = fn(x, {elems, dupes}) ->
    case Map.has_key?(elems, x) do
      true -> {elems, Map.put(dupes, x, nil)}
      false -> {Map.put(elems, x, nil), dupes}
    end
  end

  list |> Enum.reduce({%{}, %{}}, acc_dupes) |> elem(1) |> Map.keys()
end
lackac

lackac

I’m not sure if you’re aware, we have the excellent match?/2 macro for these cases:

|> Enum.filter(&match?({_, [_, _ | _]}, &1))

or if you want to make it more descriptive:

|> Enum.filter(&match?({_, list} when is_list(list) and length(list) > 1, &1))

(although is_list(list) shouldn’t be necessary in this case)

Ryzey

Ryzey OP

Thanks @nobbz and @jfeng for taking the time to look at this.

I copied the uniq/1 and uniq_by/2 code and modified slightly to come up with the following:

  def split_uniq(enumerable) do
    split_uniq_by(enumerable, fn x -> x end)
  end

  def split_uniq_by(enumerable, fun) when is_list(enumerable) do
    split_uniq_list(enumerable, %{}, fun)
  end

  defp split_uniq_list([head | tail], set, fun) do
    value = fun.(head)

    case set do
      %{^value => true} ->
        {uniq, dupl} = split_uniq_list(tail, set, fun)
        {uniq, [head | dupl]}

      %{} ->
        {uniq, dupl} = split_uniq_list(tail, Map.put(set, value, true), fun)
        {[head | uniq], dupl}
    end
  end

  defp split_uniq_list([], _set, _fun),
    do: {[], []}

It returns a tuple containing a list of unique values and a list of duplicated values. I could have made it more efficient by only returning duplicates (it’s about 20% slower than Enum.uniq).

The benefit of this approach is that it returns all duplicate elements in the original order. Given [2, 2, 2, 1, 1] your solutions will return [1, 2] as the duplicates. My (copied) solution will return [2, 2, 1] which can then be run through Enum.uniq/1 or Enum.sort/1 if required. Your solution results appear in sort order for smaller lists and appear to be in a random order for longer lists.

Because I copied uniq_by/2 functionality, given a list of maps [%{id: 1, name: "a"}, %{id: 2, name: "b"}, %{id: 3, name: "b"}, %{id: 4, name: "b"}] my (copied) solution can return all elements with a duplicated name for example [%{id: 3, name: "b"}, %{id: 4, name: "b"}]. I only copied the functionality for lists and not other enumerables.

As could be expected, given I copied it from the Elixir source code, my implementation is quite efficient compared to your solutions. Below are some Benchee benchmarks using a random list of 1000 integers between 0 and 99 (from StreamData). I assume I could match the efficiency of Enum.uniq/1 if I only returned duplicates, instead of unique values and duplicates.

Name                ips        average  deviation         median         99th %
Enum.uniq       21.74 K       45.99 μs     ±7.19%          46 μs          49 μs
ryzey           17.95 K       55.72 μs     ±6.29%          54 μs          64 μs
jfeng            7.81 K      127.97 μs     ±9.64%         124 μs         173 μs
nobbz            6.41 K      156.03 μs    ±15.14%         151 μs         245 μs

Comparison: 
Enum.uniq       21.74 K
ryzey           17.95 K - 1.21x slower
jfeng            7.81 K - 2.78x slower
nobbz            6.41 K - 3.39x slower

It would be nice to have a standard implementation of this so that duplicates could be retrieved in an efficient and consistent way. It seems like missing functionality when unique values can be easily obtained. I guess looking for unique values must be a lot more common that looking for duplicates!

7rans

7rans

Just had a need for this and coded it up like so:

def duplicates(enumerable) do
  enumerable
  |> Enum.uniq()
  |> Enum.reduce(enumerable, fn e, acc -> List.delete(acc, e) end) 
  |> Enum.uniq()
end
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

FWIW, that approach can have bad performance for specific inputs.

For instance, imagine passing it a large list of already-unique values - it will List.delete them one at a time, traversing the entire list each time. Quadratic slowdown!

Here’s an alternative approach that uses Map and Enum.frequencies:

  def duplicates(enumerable) do
    enumerable
    |> Enum.frequencies()
    |> Map.reject(fn {_, c} -> c == 1 end)
    |> Map.keys()
  end

One caveat: this version does not make any promises about the order that the duplicates appear in, while the version in your post will return them in order of their first appearance in the input.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews