maz

maz

this may not be related to the upgrade(used asdf) but I’m getting this when running mix local.hex:

➜ mix local.hex                       

22:27:31.649 [error] Task #PID<0.92.0> started from #PID<0.107.0> terminating
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:ssl, {'no such file or directory', 'ssl.app'}}}
    (mix 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/mix/utils.ex:578: Mix.Utils.read_httpc/1
    (mix 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/mix/utils.ex:510: anonymous fn/2 in Mix.Utils.read_path/2
    (elixir 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
    (elixir 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
    (stdlib 3.11) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Function: #Function<4.28560403/0 in Mix.Utils.read_path/2>
    Args: []
** (EXIT from #PID<0.92.0>) an exception was raised:
    ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:ssl, {'no such file or directory', 'ssl.app'}}}
        (mix 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/mix/utils.ex:578: Mix.Utils.read_httpc/1
        (mix 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/mix/utils.ex:510: anonymous fn/2 in Mix.Utils.read_path/2
        (elixir 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:90: Task.Supervised.invoke_mfa/2
        (elixir 1.10.0-rc.0) lib/task/supervised.ex:35: Task.Supervised.reply/5
        (stdlib 3.11) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

any ideas?

I upgraded to erlang 22.2.1 at the same time via asdf. When I return back to erlang 22.0.7 via editing .tool-versions the issue goes away.
So it has something to do with 22.2.1 ..

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Eiji

Eiji

It’s working for me.

@AstonJ Can you please move this to new topic?

AstonJ

AstonJ

This any help Maz?

maz

maz OP

That could be it, I’ll investigate when o got time tonight, thanks.

maz

maz OP

Mac OS X, with brew and asdf:

Uninstall erlang with missing ssl.app:
asdf uninstall erlang 22.2.1

then:

brew install openssl
asdf plugin-update erlang
ERLANG_OPENSSL_PATH="/usr/local/opt/openssl" asdf install erlang 22.2.1
12
Post #4
simpers

simpers

This does not work. I started getting this problem after I updated to Catalina. I couldn’t fix it back in January so I gave up on it as I have a laptop with Linux as well, that I prefer anyway.

But now I need to fix this, so does anybody have a fix for this that does not result in this:

$ ERLANG_OPENSSL_PATH="/usr/local/opt/openssl" asdf install erlang 22.2.1
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 22.2.1 (asdf_22.2.1), please wait...
APPLICATIONS DISABLED (See: /Users/username/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_22.2.1/otp_build_22.2.1.log)
 * crypto         : No usable OpenSSL found
 * ssh            : No usable OpenSSL found
 * ssl            : No usable OpenSSL found

APPLICATIONS INFORMATION (See: /Users/username/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_22.2.1/otp_build_22.2.1.log)
 * wx             : wxWidgets not found, wx will NOT be usable

DOCUMENTATION INFORMATION (See: /Users/username/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_22.2.1/otp_build_22.2.1.log)
 * documentation  :
 *                  fop is missing.
 *                  Using fakefop to generate placeholder PDF files.

Erlang/OTP 22.2.1 (asdf_22.2.1) has been successfully built
Installing Erlang/OTP 22.2.1 (asdf_22.2.1) in /Users/username/.asdf/installs/erlang/22.2.1...
You can activate this installation running the following command:
. /Users/username/.asdf/installs/erlang/22.2.1/activate
Later on, you can leave the installation typing:
kerl_deactivate
Cleaning up compilation products for
Cleaned up compilation products for  under /Users/username/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds

Erlang 22.2.1 has been installed. Activate globally with:

    asdf global erlang 22.2.1

Activate locally in the current folder with:

    asdf local erlang 22.2.1

It still says it cannot find a usable OpenSSL, which results in the build not having ssl.app (nor crypto and ssh).

maz

maz OP

what is at the path /usr/local/opt/openssl ?

This is what I see:

➜ ll
total 1280
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff   717B 21 Apr 08:22 AUTHORS
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff   574K  1 May 15:40 CHANGES
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff   743B  1 May 15:40 INSTALL_RECEIPT.json
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff   6.0K 21 Apr 08:22 LICENSE
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff    42K 21 Apr 08:22 NEWS
-rw-r--r--   1 michael  staff   3.1K 21 Apr 08:22 README
drwxr-xr-x   4 michael  staff   128B  1 May 15:40 bin
drwxr-xr-x   3 michael  staff    96B 21 Apr 08:22 include
drwxr-xr-x  10 michael  staff   320B 21 Apr 08:22 lib
drwxr-xr-x   4 michael  staff   128B 21 Apr 08:22 share

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

On Catalina I am using the following in my .zshrc to support asdf installing Erlang.

export KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--disable-debug --disable-silent-rules --without-javac --enable-shared-zlib --enable-dynamic-ssl-lib --enable-hipe --enable-sctp --enable-smp-support --enable-threads --enable-kernel-poll --enable-wx --enable-darwin-64bit --with-ssl=/usr/local/Cellar/openssl@1.1/1.1.1d"

Based upon your post perhaps you need:

export KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--disable-debug --disable-silent-rules --without-javac --enable-shared-zlib --enable-dynamic-ssl-lib --enable-hipe --enable-sctp --enable-smp-support --enable-threads --enable-kernel-poll --enable-wx --enable-darwin-64bit --with-ssl=/usr/local/opt/openssl"
simpers

simpers

This got it working, thanks! :slight_smile:

I removed --enable-wx as that is not necessary, and I changed the location of SSL to /usr/local/Cellar/openssl@1.1/1.1.1g instead, as the other one was just a chain of symlinks anyway.

It still complains about wx not being available when it compiles but that is fine, I’ll survive haha.

tfwright

tfwright

I just ran into this on a fresh ubuntu 20.10 install after installing Erlang via asdf. I was able to fix it by uninstalling Erlang (which was itself a pain that required me to manually rm -rf the files and uninstall the plugin as well) and reinstalling it after installing the libssh-dev package from apt as instructed in the asdf-erlang plugin README.

methyl

methyl

Here’s what fixed it for me

asdf uninstall erlang 22.3.4.22
brew install openssl
asdf plugin-update erlang
ERLANG_OPENSSL_PATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/openssl@3" asdf install erlang 22.3.4.22
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews