port0
I have made an escript, I would like to include some sort of “usage: cmd options” help info. I have been unable to find an equivalent to “$0” in bash (I’ve been looking for a function). Is there a way to get the command path while running an escript?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hassan
Something like this?
File.cwd! |> Path.basename()port0
That only gets me the path of the current working directory, not necessarily the path of the escript, unless I change to the directory where the script is before running it. however I’m also interested in knowing the name of the executable that was called to run the escript. For example, with bash:
results in:
/usr/bin/bashSo, I get the path and the name of the executable together. If I make a script and call it /usr/local/foo,
$0in that script will become/usr/local/foo, or justfooif I don’t specify the whole path when I run it.if my escript is placed in /usr/local/app-ctl, I’m trying to find a way that I can discover this from within the script so I don’t have to hardcode where it will end up at compile time.
NobbZ
If you have an escript, you can use
:escript.script_name/0to get the name of the current script. As far as I remember it behaves the same way as*ARGVin C or${0}in bash.So if
script_name == Path.basename(scriptname), you can use:os.find_executable(script_name)to get its location. Otherwise use:filename.pathtypeto determine if the path is absolute or relative and then use it directly or join with cwd.Thats a rough draft.