Getting Primary Key as NULL after creating a new user?

(OFF-TOPIC, sorry)

Tell me about it! I’ve been prototyping no less than 7 separate Rust programs in the last months – relatively complex too, with async / parallelism mechanics and a lot of zero-copy code blocks that involved way too much fighting with the borrow checker (at one point I gave up and started using .clone() in all non-hot coding paths because the return-of-investment ratio of developer time was abysmal).

I can confidently say that:

1. Rust is absolutely fantastic, it can ingest thousands of events per second from network and the memory usage in release/optimized mode was like 25MB and the CPU barely registered 3% load. And I had several Rust jobs in the last years, intermingled (and sometimes mixed; maybe I should apply to Fly.io!) with Elixir ones, and I’ve seen Rust programs not breaking a sweat working with 150k req/s in some meager dual-core CPU containers with 4GB RAM. But it’s not just the performance, that’s only a nice bonus. The correctness guarantees and the fearless concurrency do work and they do work amazing. The compiler has stopped me from introducing weird race conditions, many times. I learned and re-learned a lot.

2. …but if you want to prototype quickly and make a proof-of-concept THEN STAY THE HELL AWAY from Rust! :003: (Unless you’re already a master which I am working hard on becoming but not quite there yet.) Rust is not good for prototypes. I dearly regret not writing a library for the network protocols I needed in Golang or Elixir. I could have iterated no less than 5x to 10x faster after that initial time investment. I am not joking. Later on I did a more detailed GitHub search and found a Golang library, and honestly, it took me 2 hours both to relearn Golang and write a prototype that took me 2 weeks with Rust. The difference is that huge. (Although the Rust libraries I had to work with were train wrecks and I had to assemble a working solution out of the ruins of 4 of them – so that was a factor as well).

2 Likes

The opposite… Its Personal Identifiable Information and the fines are huge under GDPR in Europe.

Very prevalent to the point that’s is in the OWASP API Top 10. This type of issue is present in almost any data breach associated with an API security issue, and pretty much all the API security reports that you see released every year mention it as one of the main findings in the APIs that were part of that report case study.

1 Like

I know… I was being sarcastic. :wink:

1 Like