sevensidedmarble
Since static typing is all the rage in Elixir right now, maybe some of you will appreciate my most recent video. It’s all about how to get started with TypeScript in your Phoenix apps (assuming you’re using the default esbuild).
Let me know if you have any suggestions for further videos!
Trending in Screencasts
A new screencast on moving a blocking HTTP fetch into an Oban job. Part 1 of 2. Screencast + full walkthrough:
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
arcanemachine
Nice work. I love how easy Phoenix makes it to get started with TS. Literally just rename your
*.jsfiles to*.tsand ESBuild will pick them up automagically.You brought up typosquatting when you searched for the LiveView types on npm. That’s something that should be emphasized very strongly. npm is rife with malware these days, and there are a lot of packages that are waiting for people to install something with the wrong name. I always copy and paste the package name from npm, I never type it. Yes, this is probably overkill, but I don’t want to slip up and shoot myself in the foot.
With the
Property 'liveSocket' does not exist on type 'Window...'bit, I haven’t used TS in a bit and I am a bit of a noob on that subject, but I always just worked around that withwindow["liveSocket"] = liveSocket;. Not sure if that is even supposed to work, but it always did the trick for me.Again, good stuff.
sevensidedmarble
Yeah you have to be really careful with npm install for sure.
And the big advantage of properly augmenting the window type is that then other parts of your code will know that thing exists on window.
francois-codes
Coming from a front end dev background, I’m really happy to see a move towards typescript on Elixir
the video is great indeed, but I was a bit annoyed that we have to use casts, satisfies, etc, to correctly type hooks. So I pushed this PR on the type package: fix(phoenix-live-view): improve phoenix liveView hooks types by francois-codes · Pull Request #71190 · DefinitelyTyped/DefinitelyTyped · GitHub
I initially thought I’d offer to add these type declarations inside the phoenix framework repo, but promptly came into an issue about this where Chris closed it saying “I have no interest about that”
so I guess it will have to live in definitely typed for now
regarding your point @arcanemachine , you need to extend the window interface like this
either include this in your app.ts file, or better, in a .d.ts file referenced in the types array of your tsconfig
This is also where you can type custom phoenix events. let’s say you’re calling
push_event("custom-event", args)on the elixir side, you’d probably define listeners on your ts code withthis will raise a type error because the event is not known to typescript. but you can use the same approach above and extend the WindowEventMap interface
this way the argument of your event handler function will be correctly typed