chouzar

chouzar

I would like to get from “where” a particular function is executed. Is this possible in elixir? For example:

defmodule Sender do

  def to(pid) do
    send(pid, build_message()) 
  end

  defp build_message() do
    %{
      module: __MODULE__, # Can this be obtained at runtime?
      from: self(),
      message: "Hola!"
    }
  end

end

In the future I would like to separate the build_message function into its own thing so it doesn’t need to know the __MODULE__s value (which I guess its defined at compile time).

Macros might be a solution here :thinking: but have been avoiding them :sweat_smile: wonder if anyone has any pointers on this?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

hauleth

hauleth

Could you describe your use case exactly? Because on such abstract example it is hard to reason and maybe provide you better answer.

In general it seems like XY problem.

chouzar

chouzar OP

Thanks @hauleth appreciate your comments :slight_smile: and you’re probably right with the XY problem :sweat_smile: but let me better explain my case (which admitelly is not much of a use case at this point).

The idea behind comes from wanting to better standardize messaging between different system “components”; concretely I’m trying to apply a standard to messages between my LiveView and LiveComponent modules.

I have this struct defined:

defmodule Action do
  defstruct [
    module: Unknown,
    message: "",
    data: %{}
  ]

  # Along with some constructor helpers
  # ...
end

When sending messages between LiveComponents to LiveViews since both share the same pid, I’m thinking it would be nice to differentiate between them via the component’s module name:

# Although I'm using the Liveview framework as an example 
# this probably not that important, it could be viewed as 
# any process or genserver trying to send and catch a message.

# From the live component
defmodule LiveComponent.SendEmail do
  use Web, :live_component

  # mount, render, process callbacks

  # send being a a helper function
  defp send() do
    send(self(), %Action{
      module: __MODULE__, 
      message: "send-to", 
      data: %{to: "email@email.com", body: "Hello!"}
    }
  end
end

# From the liveview or process that receives the event
defmodule Web.Demo.TreatmentDisplayLive do
  use Web, :live_view

  # mount, render, process callbacks

  # receive the message from the livecomponent
  @impl true
  def handle_info(msg = %{module: LiveComponent.SendEmail}, socket) do
    case msg.message do
      "send-to" -> 
        # process info...

      _other ->
        # process diferently...
    end
  end

I understand even this example will seem nonsensical, what is the point? why not just send a tuple? What I think this achieves is:

  • A little bit of “extra metadata” for pattern matching purposes, it is on the programmer’s end to enforce a match of this module.
  • Programmers reading the code might find it easier to parse and know where a message is coming from (module-wise speaking).

I’m currently just experimenting (not a clear path), but would like to expand this idea and see where it goes.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

A macro would be useful here - Ecto.Repo does exactly that to pass along the name of the module that’s calling use Ecto.Repo in all the functions:

https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto/blob/83d5b7df6faa77b29e88cd665ede812710577eb8/lib/ecto/repo.ex#L267-L269

chouzar

chouzar OP

Thanks a lot for the snippet! :smiley: will parse it out.

Looks like macros would be the way to go for what I want (implicit behaviour / transformation).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews