ityonemo

ityonemo

Hi! I’m still getting zombie processes with erlexec and nothing that I do seems to be able to resolve this. Firstly, i’m on linux. Secondly, i can’t use muontrap, since I need to stream input and output into the other process.

Here’s the code:

  #... Genserver Headers
  def init(_) do
    :erlexec.run_link("priv/forever.sh", [:stderr, :stdout, :kill_group])
    #...

forever.sh

#!/bin/bash

while true; do
  sleep 1
end

Control-c/a definitely creates a zombie (I think the GenServer doesn’t even get the stop message), and even System.stop(0) creates a zombie.

I’m free to put anything in the top of the forever script, so if I can use that to, maybe set the process group or a job, I can definitely do that, but I’m not familiar enough with linux to know if that makes sense. thanks

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

lud

lud

Not sure if rambo could help there as I think it does the same thing as muontrap, but maybe worth checking.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can also take look at ex_cmd.

akash-akya

akash-akya

There is no clean way to do it without using middleware if you are consuming stdin. You need another OS process which act like monitor and do the cleanup. mountrap & ExCmd are such middlewere, but mountrap does not support communicating with the external process and ex_cmd does.

Also If you are streaming a lot of data in/out of beam then it can lead to memory issue. ex_cmd also solves that. See memory issue mentioned here

ityonemo

ityonemo OP

sadly none of the above solutions worked. I was able to get a solution I was okay with:

  1. use :os.getpid() to get the os pid of the erlang process.
  2. in the shell script, patrol to see if erlang process is still alive
  3. if it’s not, tear down the script and all its children.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews