Gig City Elixir 2018 (Early bird pricing ending soon!)

There’s going to be a unique conference experience in the Elixir community starting up this year. It’s called Gig City Elixir and it’s in the gorgeous city of Chattanooga, Tennessee.

We’ve put together an amazing program including:

• Elixir authors like Dave Thomas (@pragdave)
  • Functional programming veterans like Stuart Halloway
  • Phoenix developer Chris McCord (@chrismccord)
  • A live recording of the Elixir Outlaws podcast with co-hosts Amos King (@adkron), Anna Neyzberg, and Chris Keathley (@keathley)
  • On site training
  • And more!

This is really going to be a one-of-a-kind event. If you don’t want to miss it, now’s the time to grab a ticket! Our Early Bird pricing is ending on August 15th.

Hope to see many of you there!

4 Likes

I’m so excited about this event! Equal parts because its in my hometown and because the speaker lineup (myself excluded) is punching way above its weight for a first year conference.

Smaller conferences hold a really special place in my heart. I’ve made so many friends and found so many opportunities at conferences just like this one. There’s no barrier between the speakers and the attendees like at a lot of larger conferences. Everyone is just hanging out, sharing stories, and building relationships. I work on elixir full time now because of those friendships. The only reason @adkron, Anna, and I started the podcast was because we became friends through ElixirDaze.

I’m looking forward to showing off my city to all my new elixir friends and I really hope you can attend.

4 Likes

I really wish I could attend. Family trip already scheduled for that weekend.

1 Like

Thanks, man. From you it means a lot.

I feel like I would put the speaker list up against any conference this year. Three or four of the guys who have had a big impact on me as a person and programmer will be there. And they are not all Elixir, but they all have something to do with Elixir origins. John Hughes for haskell, and his property based testing and auto-formatting algorithms; Stu Halloway for clojure; Dave Thomas who got me into Ruby, James E Gray II got me into Ruby Quiz and on and on.

I’m very excited.

I can’t explain how excited I am to be a part of this conference. When @JEG2 asked the Outlaws to take part, I couldn’t say yes fast enough.

James has been a significant influence on me as a developer. He taught me to have fun and play with my language. Not only that, but he is one of the best speakers I’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing.

Dave Thomas(@pragdave) changed my life way before they created Pragmatic Programmers and started publishing books. Dave and Andy wrote a book that every young developer should read, Pragmatic Programmer. Since then I’ve shared car rides and dinners with Dave and listened to him speak many times. I’m eager to get another chance to catch up and hear his thoughts.

If you don’t know me, I love testing and want to learn more about it. I’m also trying to buff up on my FP skills. Where better to gain some FP and testing knowledge? The man who wrote the papers on the subjects of course. John Hughes, I’m sure will have a lot to say in the hallway track.

You know that you can’t get the real benefits of a conference from the videos online. My Elixir career launched at a conference just like this. I’ve been doing Elixir full-time ever since. The friends you make at dinner, the airport, or in the hallway will have an impact on your career, and the enjoyment you receive there. Come to be a part of the excitement. Who knows, you might just become a friend of the show.

2 Likes