Gigalixir or Heroku - your thoughts?

Hey guys!

I’m about to deploy a simple phoenix app, so I would like to hear your impressions and thoughts about Gigalixir and Heroku.

What you guys think is the best?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I moved all our stuff over to Gigalixir earlier this year and haven’t regretted it for a second.

Pros:
-Designed for elixir so stuff like clustering just works
-Support is amazing. Shout out to @jesse who has replied to me at about every point on the clock really quickly(I hope my emails aren’t triggering a page) as I’ve been in different timezones and always goes above and beyond. Heroku support for me has generally been pretty good but Gigalixir has wowed me in this department. Including a few times where the problem has definitely been with me(one example is setting up a migration release task for distillery where I missed a line about ecto 3 needing a larger pool that Jesse spotted immediately) and not their services.
-No daily reboots

Cons:
-You can’t do most things in their webui
-The wording around scaling on heroku is easier to understand though you get more granularity with gigalixir so this is a mixed bag.
-(niche) I run multiple accounts on gigalixir for my various organisations and there isn’t fast account switching in the cli like they have in heroku

5 Likes

Hi! I’m the founder of gigalixir in case you have questions for me. Happy to help in any way I can.

2 Likes

Good to hear your thoughts, thanks @sanswork :cowboy_hat_face:

Thank you @Jesse, for sure I’ll need some help on it! :cowboy_hat_face:

Gigalixir doesn’t support the citext text column in their free tier which is unfortunate.

I went with a $5 Digital Ocean VPS with Dokku (think personal Heroku) and have been happy with that for hobby projects. It isn’t free but $5/month is close enough.

1 Like