mingyar.furtado
Hey guys!
I’m about to deploy a simple phoenix app, so I would like to hear your impressions and thoughts about Gigalixir and Heroku.
What you guys think is the best?
Thanks in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sanswork
I moved all our stuff over to Gigalixir earlier this year and haven’t regretted it for a second.
Pros:
-Designed for elixir so stuff like clustering just works
-Support is amazing. Shout out to @jesse who has replied to me at about every point on the clock really quickly(I hope my emails aren’t triggering a page) as I’ve been in different timezones and always goes above and beyond. Heroku support for me has generally been pretty good but Gigalixir has wowed me in this department. Including a few times where the problem has definitely been with me(one example is setting up a migration release task for distillery where I missed a line about ecto 3 needing a larger pool that Jesse spotted immediately) and not their services.
-No daily reboots
Cons:
-You can’t do most things in their webui
-The wording around scaling on heroku is easier to understand though you get more granularity with gigalixir so this is a mixed bag.
-(niche) I run multiple accounts on gigalixir for my various organisations and there isn’t fast account switching in the cli like they have in heroku
jesse
Hi! I’m the founder of gigalixir in case you have questions for me. Happy to help in any way I can.
mingyar.furtado
Good to hear your thoughts, thanks @sanswork
mingyar.furtado
Thank you @Jesse, for sure I’ll need some help on it!
gshaw
Gigalixir doesn’t support the citext text column in their free tier which is unfortunate.
I went with a $5 Digital Ocean VPS with Dokku (think personal Heroku) and have been happy with that for hobby projects. It isn’t free but $5/month is close enough.