Gigalixir or render.com?

Gigalixir or render.com for Elixir deployment? Wondering how they compare to Heroku for ease of deploy and costs? I’m aware there are other benefits like the in-memory state being preserved etc which is one reason I’m looking at moving my projects.

1 Like

Render and Heroku allow you to deploy with Docker which I find much cleaner than build scripts. I’ve written custom buildpack for Gigalixir that works pretty similar to a multi-stage Docker build. Still, I’d rather use Docker - it’s on Gigalixir’s roadmap, but still not there.

Render has a nice UI and that’s kind of important to me. Also they’re more explicit about the app health checks - you can define a custom endpoint. This means that you can do a better health check, i.e. try a simple query to all essential external services like DB, etc.

From the things that really matter, my biggest concern is with logging. Gigalixir allows you to configure a log drain (Heroku-style) and push to Timber or PaperClip. Timber does have a lot of great Elixir integrations, but the logs seems to be lagging really bad, to the point where I’d rathe tail them via Gigalixir CLI to see what’s happening with my deploys. Not sure if its any better with Heroku and Render, but I suspect so, since they offer logging add-ons.

I’m bootstrapping a new project and started with Gigalixir. I’m considering switching to Render because of Docker deployments and (hopefully) better logs.

4 Likes

I wish Render did support external cloud hosting (digital ocean, aws, gcp, etc). instead of being stuck on their own infrastructure - for instance I use Aiven to handle databases and digital ocean to handle droplets

1 Like

What kind of database are you using? We’re adding Aiven MySQL and Elasticsearch to our addons marketplace in the next few weeks.

2 Likes

@anuragg Postgres