qgadrian

qgadrian

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a library that was being around for a while already, but I didn’t share properly until now so it can help more people :vulcan_salute:

It’s called git_hooks and the main features are:

  • Git hooks actions are configured in your project
  • Auto install the configured hooks (configurable)
  • The actions can be system commands or a script in your project

Any feedback or PRs are highly appreciated :heart:

Thank you and stay safe out there!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

r-c

r-c

Hey @qgadrian, I started using git_hooks for a project and it’s working well so far. The bit that I’m stuck on is getting the hooks to auto install. Is this supposed to occur upon compilation?

I have added the dependency to my project like so:

# mix.exs
  defp deps do
    [
      ....
      {:git_hooks, "~> 0.6.4", only: [:dev], runtime: false}
    ]
  end


# config/dev.exs
config :git_hooks,
  auto_install: true,
  verbose: true,
  hooks: [
    pre_commit: [
      tasks: [
        {:mix_task, :compile, ["--warnings-as-errors"]},
        {:mix_task, :format, ["--check-formatted"]},
        {:mix_task, :credo, ["--strict"]}
      ]
    ]
  ]

Note that my config is inside of config/dev.exs. I also tried moving it to be inside of config/config.exs, similar to how you had it in your readme. However, in both cases I had to manually install the hooks.

Is there something I am missing?
TIA

qgadrian

qgadrian OP

Hey @r-c!

Is this supposed to occur upon compilation?

Correct! (here it is where in the code).

It’s weird, I just tested it myself in a new project and it worked fine :confused: Since the auto-install will run every time the dependency is compiled, could it be possible that it was already compiled in your case?

Sorry for the late response mate :folded_hands:

Mukulch15

Mukulch15

@qgadrian Hey thanks for the awesome library. I have some concerns regarding automatic installations as well. I placed some logs within the library code and found that the git hooks path that the code uses in case of mix git_hooks.install is different from the one that is generated when we use mix deps.compile.
I believe that when we use mix deps.compile it takes the git hook directory relative to the deps folder. Maybe I am wrong but just wanted to let you know.

qgadrian

qgadrian OP

Did you try the latest release? I recently added support for “other cases” but the regular, monolith, standard, elixir application.

If you tried it and still have problems, can you please open an issue on GitHub with more details? Then I will take a look and help you out with it :smiling_face:

Mukulch15

Mukulch15

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Seems that the new release is not working as well. I will raise an issue on Github with more details.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews