matthias_toepp

matthias_toepp

I’d love to hear what people think about Wisp, the new Gleam web framework started by Gleam’s primary creator Louis Pilfold.

Gleam, along with the efforts to bring static typing to Elixir definitely played a role in bringing me to Elixir. If Gleam continues to thrive and if Elixir’s new type system doesn’t work out, then I can imagine myself writing phoenix projects with business logic / domain modeling in Gleam (and not necessarily only under those circumstances.)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

tcoopman

tcoopman

The link is not working for me. It seems to be prefixed with elixir forum

matthias_toepp

matthias_toepp OP

Thanks! The link should be fixed: Wisp Web Framework

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Thanks for sharing @matthias_toepp ! I’m glad you’re enjoying the framework.

matthias_toepp

matthias_toepp OP

@lpil since you showed up in the thread I’ve got some questions for you..:slightly_frowning_face:

  1. Could you share any thoughts on the future direction/development plans of the framework?
  • I’m particularly curious if there is a vision (or ideas) for some form of front/backend integration (I mean some way of offering the type of advantages offered by liveview, rpc’s etc)?

  • I’m also curious about future plans for templates?

  1. When should people use Gleam with Wisp vs Gleam with Elixir and Phoenix, (now and going into the future)?
lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Wisp will continue to gain more feature over time, though there’s no specific roadmap. Wisp was extracted from real-world Gleam web applications where solutions to real problems were iterated on over time, and the same will likely be done for future features.

There’s a number of projects doing front and back integration in Gleam in a variety of ways, such as Lustre and Sockets. You may find them interesting.

I intend to soon create a template for Wisp web apps with all the usual stuff a business web application would need to get started.

I can’t say anything about Gleam with Phoenix as I’ve never used Gleam with Phoenix, and I don’t currently have Elixir in production.

matthias_toepp

matthias_toepp OP

Great work Louis! I really like the Wisp website. I like how it sells the product a bit, which actually saves people some of the effort of figuring out where Wisp fits in.

It’s great to see the fast progress of the Gleam language/ecosystem!

Congratulations on surpassing F# in github stars! :smile:
As of today:

Gleam => 5.6K Github Stars

F# => 3.6K Github Stars

v3470

v3470

To be honest, I’d also love to see more BEAM programming languages getting hotter than F# on Github. Unfortunately, if we prefer to look at the stats, we should not be able to find a second one besides Elixir at this moment.

FYI:

  1. https://ossinsight.io/analyze/gleam-lang/gleam?vs=dotnet%2Ffsharp
  2. https://ossinsight.io/analyze/elixir-lang/elixir?vs=dotnet%252Ffsharp
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Looks great! I like the context approach and how composition is done with use. Quick question: are responses immediately sent as side-effects or they require the middleware to finish?

Also, two nits if you don’t mind:

  • On the benchmarks, you should link to a reproducible source. From a glance, you are comparing to languages (Go and Node.JS) and then to “full web framework” in Phoenix (which does a lot out of the box) and in none of these cases I can see what is really being compared. However, publishing the source will 100% lead to bike-shedding, so beware. :smiley:

  • You mention pattern matching is faster than routing in the example but that’s not necessarily the case. In Phoenix and Plug, routing literally becomes pattern matching. Someone else could also implement a binary tree (or a trie) for routes and be equally fast (or faster). You are only guaranteed to be faster than linear routing (which when I checked 8 years ago, was the case for most JS and Ruby frameworks)

Thanks for reading!

10
Post #8
lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

The response is sent after the handler function returns a response, similar to Raxx in Elixir.

Quite! It’s a deliberately vague statement that is intended to assure you the performance is good enough for production use. Presently I’m not interested in maintaining or discussing benchmarks as I’ve too much work to do.

Aye, I know. I’m specifically talking about Gleam there, not Elixir, which can do more thanks to macros.

If in future someone makes Gleam router that is type safe and at least as fast as pattern matching then we can revisit this and decide if it’s worth the increase in complexity. So far all attempts have failed spectacularly at both.

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Gleam is looking better by the minutes. Great work, Louis!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews