stevensonmt

stevensonmt

From the Gleam website FAQ regarding comparison to elixir:

  • Elixir code can be difficult to use from other BEAM languages, Gleam code is designed to be usable from all BEAM languages.

Is that true that Elixir interop is one-way? I know that it is very easy, for instance, to call on Erlang modules in Elixir code but does the converse not hold? What would be the reason for that difference with Gleam, both technically and pragmatically?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Joe Armstrong had no issues using elixir code from erlang, fwiw.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can call elixir functions from erlang or gleam just fine. Where the issues are is elixir macro’s, which don’t work with anything else except elixir (since it happens at compile-time in the elixir compiler).

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

I love that he basically wrote a guide on how to do it and then asked if there were such a guide at the end.

stevensonmt

stevensonmt OP

Does that include built-in macros like if/2?

Note: An interesting note regarding if/2 and unless/2 is that they are implemented as macros in the language; they aren’t special language constructs as they would be in many languages.

source

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I am not sure I follow. To call elixir functions from outside, one would still need a beam file, to produce it one needs elixir compiler, which would in turn expand macros.

That said, I don’t see any special issue with macros.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

def is a macro, defmodule is a macro, defmacro is a macro, after all. Macros are expanded into AST, there won’t be any issues with them, AFAICT.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Try building an ecto query within an erlang module. That won’t work.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yes, that’s a macro, not a function.

Yes, and after expansion the macro’s no longer exist, only functions remain, hence why you can call elixir functions from other languages, but you cannot call elixir macro’s from other languages.

The ‘big’ elixir libraries use macro’s heavily, hence why they aren’t really useful outside of elixir.

The issue is that it’s the elixir compiler that expands the macro’s, not other languages, hence why another language can’t call an elixir macro (usefully anyway).

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Ah, got it, thanks for the clarification! I would not expect people to directly call macros from outside.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Got it. I simply missed the possibility that one would expect calling macros from outside to work.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews