pmjoe
Does anyone know any good example of web applications without Phoenix? I think Elixir is so damn simple, but every time I create a Phoenix project is just too much. I just want to do something with Ecto, Plug, and Htmx.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
@wojtekmach’s repository of single-file apps might be very helpful to you:
https://github.com/wojtekmach/mix_install_examples/blob/727e0a70aeb194593eac913afc224c5c0e0f09ea/plug_cowboy.exs
It was for me.
Yeah, same here. I admire the work of the Phoenix team, I simply wish we had PhoenixLite or something.
mayel
This is mentioned often and I wonder if simply highlighting the
--no-*options in the getting started guide would help, because a lot of Phoenix is optional:--no-assets- equivalent to--no-esbuildand--no-tailwind--no-dashboard- do not include Phoenix.LiveDashboard--no-ecto- do not generate Ecto files--no-esbuild- do not include esbuild dependencies and assets. We do not recommend setting this option, unless for API only applications, as doing so requires you to manually add and track JavaScript dependencies--no-gettext- do not generate gettext files--no-html- do not generate HTML views--no-live- comment out LiveView socket setup in assets/js/app.js. Automatically disabled if --no-html is given--no-mailer- do not generate Swoosh mailer files--no-tailwind- do not include tailwind dependencies and assets. The generated markup will still include Tailwind CSS classes, those are left-in as reference for the subsequent styling of your layout and componentsEdit: these are the files created when you use all those flags:
Edit 2: These are the dependencies included:
And the extra dependencies in lockfile:
So apart from adding a
--no-telemetryflag I’m not sure how much lighter it could reasonably get while still being sensible?LostKobrakai
This sentiment surely comes up regularly, but having seen people attempt this over the years I‘m not sure skipping phoenix (the library) is worth it.
Plug for simple stuff can be quite simple code and less files, but on the other hand any more advanced stuff will need you to write more code than you‘d need to write with phoenix around. Like doing a redirect needs you to manually deal with location headers and also will be missing the security validation phoenix does for local paths. I‘ve seen similar things quite a bit over the years where people ask how to do a thing they know is simple from phoenix in a bare plug app, where it turns out having phoenix would‘ve been the simpler answer.
Phoenix can be stripped down quite a lot, you can use a plug router on a phoenix endpoint without issues (if you‘re not using router mounted LVs) and you‘ll still have most of the functionality of phoenix around.
dimitarvp
I am strictly focusing on amount of files, not the removal of features, some of which are critical for most commercial projects (like HTML/templating and DBs/Ecto). Phoenix projects have way too many files IMO.
I know that people who constantly work on Phoenix apps have gotten used to it but as a guy who is leaning on the backend side of things, Phoenix’s generated files relating to UI are confusing.
F.ex. I fail to see point of views to this day. Surely for a lot of projects you can always rely on the defaults that are injected in your code by the generator but these view files are just kind of… sitting there. They are basically an artifact of the framework’s chosen abstractions that leak into your project’s source code.
I’d try to do without them as a start and see how far I can take it.
dimitarvp
I agree. Even though the amount of files to me seem too much I’ve also experienced first-hand how extremely useful Phoenix is the moment your needs start growing.
xpressgetaway
100% agree.
mayel
I went ahead with a simple PR: clarify what's optional in phx.new by mayel · Pull Request #5783 · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub
pmjoe
My point is that with Phoenix I feel that the framework becomes your application. If I’m not mistaken Dave Thomas has talked a lot about this. Phoenix for me is the outer layer of an application, it’s the API or how it communicates with the outside world.
LostKobrakai
I‘d suggest differentiating phoenix the library from code, which is generated by phoenix generators. Because most of what the latter provides is not set in stone as all.
It‘s one way of doing things, which caters best to the usecase of powering crud generators for people trying to quickly scaffold apps. You‘re free if not encouraged to adjust those things to fit whatever else you need.
dimitarvp
Sounds like a good opportunity to upstream some more generators for other cases, then.