fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

There was a recent update to fwup that adds support for GPT disk partitions. This is important since:

  • Some devices only boot EFI system partitions on GPT drives
  • GPT supports more than 4 partitions

The first point is coming up more frequently as embedded x86_64 devices are dropping support for “BIOS Boot”. The nVIDIA Jetson Nano also require GPT.

Support for >4 partitions is why I’m posting this. Over the past few years, several people have asked me about supporting things like multiple firmware slots. For example, you could build a kiosk where the main firmware partition has the embedded web browser and a second firmware partition has your app. The idea would be that all of the web browser size and complexity could be maintained and managed independently to your app. This was possible before GPT support, but the 4 partition limitation with MBR made it look like a hack.

The devil is always in the details. If you’re going down a path that might be improved by using GPT support in Nerves, please share. I’d like to get this low-level functionality bubbled up so that it’s more accessible.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews