c4lliope

c4lliope

I’d like to upgrade my Phoenix app to Nex.
Both of these packages rely on plug as middleware.
Maybe a plug mechanism can help to add new routes in Nex, alongside the earlier Phoenix app.
I imagine this is going to be a common use case.

As is, these seem related:

Mainly asking for guidance from @zhenfeng-zhu, and also opening this discussion to track my progress in my own codebase. (for the mods: we need a category of “Elixir Framework Forums / Nex”!)

As a nearly-real example, my blog is already in Phoenix. I’d like to build commenting using HTMX tags and dedicated Nex file-based routing. Here are two generic processes I can imagine.

Approach 1: Nex-in-Phoenix

  1. run mix nex.new nex_app
  2. run rsync -a nex_app/lib/* phoenix_app/lib/
  3. start the nex_app inside of the phoenix_app.
  4. inside the phoenix router, forward "/nex", to: NexApp.Endpoint
  5. gradually move logic to nex_app using file routes.

Approach 2: Phoenix-in-Nex

  1. run mix nex.new nex_app
  2. run rsync -a phoenix_app/lib/* nex_app/lib/
  3. start the phoenix_app inside of the nex_app
  4. somehow? forward to the phoenix routes from nex? is this possible?
  5. absorb the phoenix logic into Nex’s file routes.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

GrammAcc

GrammAcc

Do they have to be running in the same supervision tree? If the goal is to gradually port from Phoenix to Nex, I would probably just run both applications on different ports and proxy them with nginx or caddy. Then I could port one route at a time from the Phoenix app to the Nex app and without needing to keep Phoenix idioms around in the new Nex code. If you’re using postgres for your db, you’d just need to make sure both applications have the same db user credentials, and any service or data layer code could be pulled out into a local hex package (:path dep in mix.exs) if you don’t want to copy that code between both apps.

Honestly though, if the project isn’t too large, it might be easier to just do the full port all at once and maintain the existing Phoenix app until the Nex version is ready for prod. I guess it would depend on how the project is set up and if it’s easy to separate logic by individual routes or not. Food for thought anyway. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews