joeyates

joeyates

Today I’m releasing Green - a style guide enforcer for Elixir.

Green acts as a plugin to Mix Format and automates the application of a full set of formatting rules.

Status

Currently, Green implements the set of rules defined in lexmag’s Elixir Style Guide.

For example, it transforms this:

foo(bar(baz(quux), 42))

into this

baz(quux) |> bar(42) |> foo()

See the relevant section of the docs for full details.

Usage

Add the library to your dependencies:

defp deps do
  [
    {:green, ">= 0.1.3", only: :dev}
  ]
end

Add the following to .formatter.exs:

plugins: [Green.Lexmag.ElixirStyleGuideFormatter]

Configuration

While Green aims to work with no configuration, there will be cases where a little is needed.

Specifically, Green sometimes needs help in recognising function (and macro) calls that shouldn’t be pipelined. One example is assert/1, which isn’t part of the default :locals_without_parens configuration. To avoid assert foo(1) being turned into 1 |> foo() |> assert(), add this to .formatter.exs:

locals_without_parens: [assert: 1],

Links

https://github.com/joeyates/green

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Eiji

Eiji

Personally I really don’t like such a default behaviour. In my opinion you should support all assert-like macros based on the official documentation.


use, import, assign or require

Should be:

use, import, alias or require


:white_question_mark: Don’t use anonymous functions in pipelines (L3),

I guess you can easily consider it as outdated. I would recommend to rewrite it in this way:

# Bad
sentence
|> String.split(~r/\s/)
|> (fn words -> [@sentence_start | words] end).()
|> Enum.join(" ")

# Good
sentence
|> String.split(~r/\s/)
|> then(&[@sentence_start | &1])
|> Enum.join(" ")

:white_question_mark: Enforce predicate functions to end with a question mark (N3),

That should be easy as long as you require the @spec, simply remove prefix is_ and add ? suffix if such character is not already at the end of the function name.


:white_question_mark: Avoid superfluous comments (C2).

This is handled by the Elixir formatter. It moves the comment after the expression to above said expression.


:white_question_mark: Put the expression being tested by comparison on the left side (U1)

I would not implement this. I’m not sure if it’s too far. However it should be easy to implement assuming “standardised” describe block naming:

describe "foo/1" do
  test ":default works as same as in foo/0" do
    # Bad
    assert MyApp.foo() == MyApp.foo(:default)
    # Good
    assert MyApp.foo(:default) == MyApp.foo()
  end
end
cmo

cmo

I don’t think I want my formatter renaming my functions.

Sure it moves them. It certainly doesn’t detect if it is superfluous and delete it. Probably out of scope for a formatter.

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

I think that superfluous comment != inline comment. That item means to not add pointless comments.

I wish I could add inline comments without the formatter ruining it for me… I’m sure there’s a way, I just hate that I would have to go out of my way to do it.

Eiji

Eiji

“Trust me”, except obvious SPAM there is no such thing like “pointless comments”. It’s not about comments, but few times I was asked to make code more readable for people who don’t know Elixir language. When doing so I have realised what kind of naming is used in different communities and I think that the last task I want to see in the issue board is a task like that. :joy:

Eiji

Eiji

Depends what kind of naming we deal with. Please keep in mind that such naming is recommended not only by someone’s style guide, but also by official documentation and in that case I don’t mind as long as it would not produce false positives.

Trailing question mark (foo?) | Naming conventions @ Elixir documentation

garrison

garrison

You guys have been debating the comment rule but in fairness to the OP his docs explicitly marked that particular rule as being impossible to implement because it’s subjective.

I think what the rule is getting at is that new programmers can sometimes fall into a habit of over-commenting every line, even what it’s obvious what the code does. Everyone posting in this thread is probably experienced enough to have learned not to do that long ago :slight_smile:

Eiji

Eiji

I don’t think you’re right here … includes does not mean all of. Also I was proposing to apply some rule only for a very specific use case.

slouchpie

slouchpie

This looks great. Does it work alongside :styler or do they diverge in places? I am on the phone so lazily asking without reading docs.

joeyates

joeyates OP

Styler has its own style, while Green aims to implement the existing popular style guides.

It automates formatting that is currently enforced by hand.

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Appreciate the effort, but is there a way for the user to define their own rules?

For instance, I personally dislike a number of “standard” formatting practices and have my own way of formatting such cases.

Also, I would never let a formatter transform my functions calls into piped calls or the other way around b/c I use both of them purposefully. In my view, code formatting should mirror the intent and that’s how it should be used.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews