mruoss
Hi guys
I’m developing a Kino with a bunch of Smart Cells and I’d like to offer them inside a parent group in the “+ Smart” dropdown similar to the “Database connection” item in the screenshot below. Does anybody know if/how I can achieve this?
I can register the Smart Cells but they just appear in the top level of the dropdown.
Thanks, Michael
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jonatanklosko
Hey, there is currently no API for this. Also note that the idea behind sub-group is to show multiple variants of the same cell, just to pick the right optional dependencies (“Database connection” is always the same cell, with database type select). Could you elaborate on your use case? Are these separate smart cells and how are they related?
mruoss
Hey @jonatanklosko
Thanks for taking the time to reply. This is still work in progress. I’m working on kino_k8s, a Kino that should help people learn how to use the k8s library. The Smart Cells are mostly meant to be used for code generation. But they can also be used to interact with a Kubernetes cluster.
The concept is similar to
kino_db. You first need to configure a connection (to the Kubernetes Cluster) before you can use the other cells (Get Resource, List Resources, Apply Resource).Yes I noticed that once
kino_dbis installed, the cells are no longer inside the sub-group and it’s actually just 2 smart cells.In my case, there are currently 4 smart cells. Technically they could be done in 2 but I don’t see the benefit in that. So i’d find it nice if these cells were inside a group labeled “Kubernetes” or “Kino K8s” or so. Because names like “Get Resource” has give the user much meaning among all the other cells. Now since there is no such API I might prefix the cell names or rename them to something like “Get K8s Resource”.
If you have a k8s cluster at hand and want to see the Kino in action (as I said, it’s still WIP. Mostly lacks error handling and assistance):
https://github.com/mruoss/kino_k8s
Thanks, Michael
josevalim
I would say the reason to have 2 instead of 4 is exactly so they can all be grouped, similar to kino_db and kino_bumblebee.
mruoss
Yes, obviously that’s the benefit of having only two - hence my post in the first place. But it also makes the code more complex and difficult to maintain.
Besides that, in my kino, one cell configures the editor in
init/2. As far as I understand, this cannot be activated/deactivated anymore afterinit/2. So I need at least 3 cells (connection, cells with editor, cells without). And I’m still not sure I wanna go merging the logic of the cells.josevalim
The editor is a good point. Maybe we should allow grouping of cells then.