vegabook

vegabook

I’m trying to call Python functions from Elixir using Python’s official grpc module.

Elixir side I’m using elixir-grpc.

Since I’lll be calling across the open internet, I need SSL/TLS security. So I created certificates:

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout server.key -out server.crt -days 365 -nodes -subj "/CN=xx.xx.xx.168" -addext "subjectAltName = IP:xx.xx.xx.168"

The python call to python works fine, in both insecure and TLS/SSL versions. But the Elixir call to Python, which works fine with no TLS/SSL, gives me an SSLV3_ALERT_BAD_CERTIFICATE error on the server side if I enable TLS/SSL, even though they’re using exactly the same certificates.

Python server:

import asyncio
import logging

import grpc
from hellostreamingworld_pb2 import HelloReply
from hellostreamingworld_pb2 import HelloRequest
from hellostreamingworld_pb2_grpc import MultiGreeterServicer
from hellostreamingworld_pb2_grpc import add_MultiGreeterServicer_to_server

NUMBER_OF_REPLY = 10


class Greeter(MultiGreeterServicer):

    def __init__(self):
        self.my_number = 0
        asyncio.create_task(self.do_stuff_regularly())

    async def do_stuff_regularly(self):
        while True:
            await asyncio.sleep(10)
            self.my_number -= 1
            print(f"my_number: {self.my_number}")

    async def sayHello(
        self, request: HelloRequest, context: grpc.aio.ServicerContext
    ) -> HelloReply:
        logging.info("Serving sayHello request %s", request)
        for i in range(self.my_number, self.my_number + NUMBER_OF_REPLY):
            yield HelloReply(message=f"Hello number {i}, {request.name}!")
        self.my_number += NUMBER_OF_REPLY


async def serve() -> None:

    with open('server.key', 'rb') as f:
        private_key = f.read()
    with open('server.crt', 'rb') as f:
        certificate_chain = f.read()

    # Create server credentials
    server_credentials = grpc.ssl_server_credentials(((private_key, certificate_chain),))


    server = grpc.aio.server()
    add_MultiGreeterServicer_to_server(Greeter(), server)
    #listen_addr = "[::]:50051"
    listen_addr = "xx.xx.xx.168:50051"
    server.add_secure_port(listen_addr, server_credentials) # secure uses the cert
    #server.add_insecure_port(listen_addr) # insecure
    logging.info("Starting server on %s", listen_addr)
    await server.start()
    await server.wait_for_termination()


if __name__ == "__main__":
    logging.basicConfig(level=logging.INFO)
    asyncio.run(serve())

Python client:

import asyncio
import logging

import grpc
import hellostreamingworld_pb2
import hellostreamingworld_pb2_grpc


async def run() -> None:
    with open('server.crt', 'rb') as f:
        trusted_certs = f.read()

    # Create client credentials
    credentials = grpc.ssl_channel_credentials(root_certificates=trusted_certs)

    async with grpc.aio.secure_channel("xx.xx.xx.168:50051", credentials) as channel:
        stub = hellostreamingworld_pb2_grpc.MultiGreeterStub(channel)

        # Read from an async generator
        async for response in stub.sayHello(
            hellostreamingworld_pb2.HelloRequest(name="you")
        ):
            print(
                "Greeter client received from async generator: "
                + response.message
            )

        # Direct read from the stub
        hello_stream = stub.sayHello(
            hellostreamingworld_pb2.HelloRequest(name="you")
        )
        while True:
            response = await hello_stream.read()
            if response == grpc.aio.EOF:
                break
            print(
                "Greeter client received from direct read: " + response.message
            )


if __name__ == "__main__":
    logging.basicConfig()
    asyncio.run(run())

Elixir:

iex(1)> cred = GRPC.Credential.new(ssl: [cacertfile: Path.expand("../../server.crt")])
%GRPC.Credential{
  ssl: [
    cacertfile: "/home/tbrowne/code/official_grpc_example/examples/python/hellostreamingworld/server.crt"
  ]
}
iex(2)> {:ok, channel} = GRPC.Stub.connect("xx.xx.xx.168:50051", adapter: GRPC.Client.Adapters.Gun, cred: cred)

15:53:52.155 [notice] TLS :client: In state :wait_cert_cr at ssl_handshake.erl:2172 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Bad Certificate


15:53:53.187 [notice] TLS :client: In state :wait_cert_cr at ssl_handshake.erl:2172 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Bad Certificate


15:53:55.127 [notice] TLS :client: In state :wait_cert_cr at ssl_handshake.erl:2172 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Bad Certificate

Is there something funky going on with Erlang/Elixir certificate files that I’m not aware of? I seem to remember having had some uphill a few months ago with Erlang’s certificate format which might be being used underneath? Worth mentioning that I get the same problem whether I use Mint or Gun as the transport.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

D4no0

D4no0

This is honestly not an indicator. Erlang is pretty strict in regards to the format of certificates.

I don’t know if something changed, but from what I remember the bad certificate error is related to the certificate being in the wrong format or missing some mandatory fields, but once again I am not entirely sure as the SSLV3 things seem to be freshly added as I didn’t see them when I was working with ssl a year ago.

There are a few things you can do:

  1. Don’t generate your own self-signed certificates but do it like everybody does it in the industry, point a domain to your server and use something like letsencrypt to generate fully valid certificates;
  2. Decode a certificate that erlang thinks its valid and cross reference the fields with your self-signed certificate, maybe you are missing some options or the format is incorrect.

I don’t think any http (or similar) clients from elixir or erlang are using something else but the erlang ssl library for doing the actual network requests. Since that library handles certificate validation, there is no way around it.

vegabook

vegabook OP

Yeah used letsencrypt, got proper cert with an associated domain, again works with Python → Python, but with Elixir → Python I now get a TLSV1_ALERT_UNKNOWN_CA error. I’ll probably reach out to the elixir-grpc maintainers.

D4no0

D4no0

You can do that, but this is unrelated to the grpc library, so they will not be able to help you wtih anything.

This is pretty interesting, looks like the python server doesn’t return the full chain of certificates. The easiest way to debug this is to serve https traffic using the certificate you just created from with a nginx reverse proxy + your python server in http mode, because that is a well-known working setup. If that works, then this will confirm the fact that whatever https library that grpc server from python uses, it’s not up to the latest security standards.

vegabook

vegabook OP

What I haven’t done yet is Elixir ↔ Elixir. So I’ll test that with SSL/TLS first and if I can get that working then I can try to debug the python side.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews