tmbb

tmbb

For a project, I’m using channels to handle realtime notifications and synchronization between clients. I send the initial state embedded in the DOM and use channels to listen to updates from the server. However, there is a time between the HTML leaving the server and the channel being setup on the client during which I’m “blind” and won’t receive events.

Is there any way to guarantee that I won’t have such a window during which events are not acknowledged?

I was thinking of the following: instead of embedding the state in the DOM, I could ask for the initial state through the channel. Does this guarantee that I will only receive the events in the browser after receiving the initial state? Where can I read abou the “ordering” garanteed of phoenix channel communication?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

So the order of messages received by client of channel will always be the order of events that were sent to given channel. The client will always also receive all messages, even if they are outdated.

It looks like a good thing in your case. You are right, that you will have a gap window between the time when user loads initial HTML page, and when the channel connection is established, and you can miss some updates, yes.

If this is mission critical not to loose any events that happen in the meantime, you can either do what you suggest - load whole state, including initial state via channel. Alternatively, you can start a process on each GET request, that would be tied to that get request and future channel by some UUID for example. You generate UUID, send with your HTML, start a process with the same UUID, and start a channel with the same UUID. Rather than pushing the messages to channel directly, you use your newly created process as a buffer. But it’s way more complicated than simply loading all the state via phoenix channel.

tmbb

tmbb OP

Thanks! I think that maybe something like this should be added to the channels documentation. It doesn’t say anything there about preserving order of events.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

The order of events is incidental in that it is the BEAM that assures that messages are passed to the network stack in order and TCP is an in-order protocol. Ordering between ‘different’ process are not ordered though, and that is reflected in channels. Different Channel messages can arrive in any order.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews