AstonJ
Does anyone have any guides, tips or primers for Nx (or ML in general)?
I guess specifically things that would be helpful before reading Genetic Algorithms in Elixir. Or does the book contain everything you might need? (If anyone’s interested we will probably run a book club for it soon - PM me if you’re interested, I should have a few copies to give away!)
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
seanmor5
Hey @AstonJ I have written a few posts on the DY blog: Blog - DockYard
I also have some posts on Medium through Pragmatic Bookshelf: https://medium.com/@seanmor5
And some tips on my blog: https://seanmoriarity.com/
Finally, there may be something in the works through everybody’s favorite publisher coming out sometime soon
linusdm
I’m also in the same boat: I’m really interested in everything ML related, but I’m “just an average trained programmer”, who has forgotten all about matrixes in highschool/university.
Although i really really like the content you’re creating @seanmor5, I can’t seem to grok most of it, given my modest background. Anything targetted to mere mortals would be great. Even if it’s a one year course, I’d probably take it, on my own pace.
AstonJ
An nice, I was wondering when we’d be seeing more books on the topic! Can you share whether it’s going to be a book best read before/after Genetic Algorithms in Elixir?
Thanks also for the links to your blog posts, in terms of reading order, do you think it’s worth approaching something like this:
Thanks also for all your work on this aspect of Elixir - I have no doubt it’s going to play a big role in Elixir’s continued success
en86
Industry standard advice for getting up to speed as quick as possible on ML is the free fastai course: https://course.fast.ai. I’ve heard it’s required for new OpenAI engineers. I found it to be very helpful in explaining most key concepts.
The Hugging Face transformers course is also a great follow-up: Introduction · Hugging Face. Given that Bumblebee allows you to use pre-trained Hugging Face models, it’s probably a particularly helpful follow-up to the fastai course.
Of course you’re stuck with using Python if you follow these tutorials but it’s probably the best way to start to get a conceptual understanding of all this stuff before using Nx/Axon/Bumblebee.
bdarla
I got some familiarity with ML via two books, one by The Pragmatic Programmer and one by no starch press. The first uses Python and the second is a visual approach.
Of course, they have nothing to do with Nx… Maybe @seanmor5 will come with a new book (wishful thinking).
NickGnd
Hey @AstonJ
I’m definitely interested to join the book club.
Then, I can only second the book suggested by @bdarla , “Programming Machine Learning”. I’m almost finished it (16 out 20 chapters) and I rewritten all the examples with Nx/Axon so far (althought, I suspect not the best ML code
).
AstonJ
Thanks Michael that’s very helpful!
Did you miss his post @bdarla
Maybe in the meantime you can join us for the book club on his first book Genetic Algorithms in Elixir (PragProg) in preparation for it 
Awesome, have added you to the list - will PM you when we’ve got enough people interested in it
polvalente
I’m kinda interested in the book club as well
It would depend on when you plan on doing it, but if it fits my schedule, I’d love to re-read the book and to actually make things with current Nx tooling
code-shoily
When do you start the book club? If it’s in February I can join. I got the book and probably only read a chapter and a half so far.
AstonJ
@polvalente @code-shoily - awesome, have added you both to the list
We’ll probably start the Tailwind book club first (let me know if you want to join that as well!) and so hope to get this one started some time after that depending on when we reach at least 10 people interested (currently at 6 for this book)