Hackintosh - who's got one or wants one!?

They seem to have come a long way now! And for those that want an iMac Pro - you could save $3,000! Well, according to this guy anyway…

Parts List

BenQ EW3270U
Phanteks Pro M Case
Intel i7-8700K CPU
Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD
EVGA 750W P2 PSU
Thermaltake Asetek AIO
AMD RX 470

Guides

http://techhowdy.com/process-to-install-hackintosh-macos-mojave

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-gigabyte-z370-gaming-7-intel-core-i7-8700k-rx-580-2x-dell-p2715q-4k-60hz.252989/

I’m tempted :lol:

It’s very tempting, Snazzy Labs just posted a video about a Intel NUC hackintosh that is pretty affordable.

I built several of those in the past, even including some laptops.

The main reason why I chose a real MacBook again is stability and ease of use. Restoring a time machine backup was (last time I checked) not possible with hackintosh builds and I had to battle kexts running wild every now and then.

But since the 2017 MacBook Pro, which I bought, is just a joke when it comes to hardware (poor battery life, a noisy keyboard with locking keys, a touchbar that goes unresponsive from time to time, runs hot…) and was really expensive, I can see the appeal of these builds.

Just do not expect such a built to stand a reallife stresstest where you have to meet deadlines. Because in the end they will cause problems. Preferably when it’s most unconvenient.

TL;DR; IMHO only use a hackintosh for stuff that you don’t have to rely on.

3 Likes

I agree to disagree.

Been running a Hackintosh for well over 3 years now and I never had major problems.
It’s completely reliable. No random freezes, beach ball or kernel panic.

All I need to do is to be patient and not mess with beta OS versions.
For major updates I clone the SSD and clean install the OS. Of course it’s not as simple as with native hardware update but usually it can be completed in an afternoon or a day.

The OS itself is untouched, it just needs a few kexts on the EFI partition for everything to load.

Ethernet, Wifi and Bluetooth works fine. I can use AirDrop, handoff, iMessage and FaceTime (even for phone calls).

1 Like

I don’t think I could ever be bothered dealing with the extra work, between difficulties in upgrading, trying to source the right parts to start with, poorer build quality, etc.

My laptop was expensive but it’ll work out to less than $1000 a year over it’s lifetime so far and as a developer that’s really nothing for a tool I use everyday for several hours. I need something that just works. That said I’m lucky enough to have a 2015 model so I haven’t had to deal with the build quality issues on the newer ones. Hopefully by 2020 when I finally decide to replace this one things will have improved again.

1 Like

Linux has been, and most likely, always will be my daily driver, but I’ve had a PC Hackintosh build for the last 10 yrs or so now built from my old Linux hardware.

Back when I started, it definitely wasn’t for the faint of heart that’s for sure, but it’s come a long way since then :slight_smile:

I have 3 screens and the Hackintosh occupies one of them, Linux takes the other two. I use Synergy to share the keyboard and mouse.

1 Like

This is a show stopper for many, myself included.

It’s valid that you love to tinker but not everyone is up to spend 4-8 hours of their precious free time on such a project for results that vary wildly between different machines. I for one mostly hear about problems with the Hackintosh builds anywhere I look on the net.

2 Likes

I use a NUC i3 Hackintosh for my main workstation. There are a few issues with it but all ones that I can ignore (for example the WIFI does not work, but I just use a wired ethernet. )

As I do a lot of video editing having a mac is really helpful.

When I outgrow this machine I will probably get a more powerful NUC as a hackintosh. This machine is an i3 so it is somewhat CPU bound

2 Likes

Yep. I had the same experience until I had not. When it bit me I lost several billable days of work which cost me more than a few new computers…

But the main point is:

For major updates I clone the SSD and clean install the OS. Of course it’s not as simple as with native hardware update but usually it can be completed in an afternoon or a day.

The upgrade and backup restore options on the mac are fantastic and for me it is the sole reason to not use Linux or BSD in the first place (on the desktop that is…). So for me, a Hackintosh is cutting away the best part of a Mac :smiley:

Of course there are different needs. If you need raw computing power and don’t have to rely on a specific system state and have good offsite backups, then it might very well be a cost effective option. In some cases it is simply not. I just wanted to point out that there are pitfalls :wink:

2 Likes