Hackney metrics w/ Elixir/Phoenix app causes Hackney manager error

Hello all. I am running an Elixir/Phoenix application on Elixir 1.7.4 and Phoenix version is ~> 1.3.0.
There are two folders under the apps directory and mine is one of them with it’s own mix.exs

Running into an error when trying to use Elixometer for metrics and tap into the metrics provided by Hackney via Httpoison, using this config, config :hackney,mod_metrics: :exometer

When doing this, the error that happens is:

** (Mix) Could not start application hackney: exited in: :hackney_app.start(:normal, [])
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:shutdown, {:failed_to_start_child, :hackney_manager, {:noproc, {:gen_server, :call, [:exometer_admin, {:ensure, [:hackney, :nb_requests], :counter, []}]}}}}}
            (hackney) /Users/johnyhoffman/Code/cava-grill-backend/deps/hackney/src/hackney_sup.erl:27: :hackney_sup.start_link/0
            (kernel) application_master.erl:277: :application_master.start_it_old/4
2020-12-29T18:50:58.154657Z [error] Child :hackney_manager of Supervisor :hackney_sup failed to start
** (exit) exited in: :gen_server.call(:exometer_admin, {:ensure, [:hackney, :nb_requests], :counter, []})
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
Start Call: :hackney_manager.start_link()
Restart: :permanent
Shutdown: 5000
Type: :worker

I’ve tried moving Exometer to first in the applications list as stated by various searches but it results in the same error. Any ideas on how else to ensure Exometer is started before Hackney?