jjcarstens

jjcarstens

Nerves Core Team

Do you like Hacktoberfest? Also enjoy working with Nerves and want to contribute?

Fantastic! :tada: :beers:

Here are some potential starting points for you ¬

  • Nerves docs
    • Its boring, but things move fast and its a huuuggee help to get little updates when things look wrong. Or if guides are incorrect, etc
  • Search Nerves, NervesHub, and related projects by issue tag:
  • Add utilities to toolshed
    • Add df - see #41
    • Anything counts, but things for cpu utilization would be cool.
  • Do anything related to Erlang tracing and write up examples for Nerves people. (Frank thinks we rely way too much on logging, but he’s painfully aware that tracing is hard.)
  • BlueHeron examples
    • small Bluetooth projects that people can replicate
  • Find some sensor/i2c/spi device that doesn’t have an elixir lib and build one
    • Its totally random, but helps when you need it. These can range from really really simple to very complicated implementations
  • Circuits.GPIO pinout task
  • Help push circuits_cdev over the line to use char dev interface with GPIO
  • Speak another language? We want need help putting translation pieces in place for NervesHub

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hauleth

hauleth

Just curious - doesn’t cpu_sup is what you need? It is out there ready for use.

fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

I feel I should respond since toolshed is a project of mine and the reference was to adding a cpu utilization helper to it.

Many helpers in toolshed delegate to Erlang/OTP functions to aide in discovery, muscle memory, ease-of-use, or to make the output easier to read. The point hasn’t been to bring in new features, but more to expose existing functionality to lessen the need to drop to a bash prompt to get work done. That’s important on Nerves, since it’s frequently the case that Erlang/OTP provides more capability than what’s available in a shell due to the minimal Linux userland.

Anyway, back to a CPU utilization reporting utility, I think it would require a few iterations to figure out an actually useful helper. I agree that if it doesn’t provide some advantage over cpu_sup that there’s no reason to replicate it. I’m not sure this is a good Hacktoberfest PR opportunity, since there will probably be discussion and iteration that would drag the PR out past the October window.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in News & Updates Top

Jskalc
LiveVue v1.0 released After four release candidates and a lot of community feedback, LiveVue 1.0 is stable :tada: I’ve built a dedicated...
New
zachdaniel
Your standard application generally only tracks what is true right now. Updates overwrite previous data, and asking questions about the p...
New
woylie
<span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>let-me 3.0.4 has been released. Changed Log the policy module and the check module in the...
New
woylie
Flop Phoenix 0.27.0 has been released. Changed Require Flop 0.29.0, which turns Flop.Schema from a protocol into a behaviour. Determin...
New
webofbits
Aludel 0.8.0 is now available on GitHub and Hex. This release adds typed_judge assertions for evaluations that need deterministic, struc...
New
kyroco
VitalAIze 0.3.0 is out. It puts your other machines on your team on the board, live. I changed the architecture and am using gRPC to stre...
New
woylie
Flop 0.29.0 has been released. Added Add Flop.allowed_fields/2, which returns the fields that may be filtered or sorted for the given ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews