LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Another year another Hacktoberfest :slight_smile:

Surprisingly I already did my first PR today. I’m wondering who else is planing to participate, but also how elixir projects are doing. Seems like many of the popular PHP repos are spammed with trivial PRs of accounts created by bots.

For the people wanting to participate, but don’t know where:
Open Hacktoberfest labeled issues on elixir repos

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Phillipp

Phillipp

I usually use the Hacktoberfest to work on my static site generator but this year I will build an application that will connect to my smart home system (Homematic) to provide data storage (time series) and additional automation.

And yeah, I am cheating a bit and make PRs on my own stuff just to grab the shirt :smiley:

NobbZ

NobbZ

I’m already fed up by the hacktoberfest… I really eagerly looked forward, both as contributor and as maintainer.

Though it took me 2 hours this morning to wade through PRs labelling them as “invalid” and report users as spammers…

Only to learn, that there is a cap of 70k shirts this year.

Last year those spam PRs have been equally spread over the month and not have been a great burden beyond what the benefit was, though of todays PRs not even half have been legit.

I’m fed up with the fest and thinking to revoke my participation this year…

Phillipp

Phillipp

I think there has always been a cap. Even though I was really late to complete the 4 PRs the last years, I still got a shirt.

NobbZ

NobbZ

I was late the last years as well, though no one I talked with from the exercism team does remember having seen some public communicated cap the last years.

This year though, it is even part of the “participation rules” (emphasis mine):

To get a shirt, you must make four pull requests (PRs) between October 1–31 in any time zone. Pull requests can be to any public repository on GitHub, not just the ones highlighted. The pull request must contain commits you made yourself. If a maintainer reports your pull request as spam, it will not be counted toward your participation in Hacktoberfest. If a maintainer reports behavior that’s not in line with the project’s code of conduct, you will be ineligible to participate. This year, the first 70,000 participants can earn a T-shirt.


Just checked with waybackmachine, indeed it was communicated publicly that there is a limit last year:

Phillipp

Phillipp

It was 50k last year, see: Hacktoberfest Is Back for Year Six! | DigitalOcean

This year, the first 50,000 participants will be eligible to receive the limited edition shirt.

EDIT: Ah, you found it already.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
ausimian
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
OndrejValenta
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly) AI dream has many faces, but general...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews