Hacktoberfest 2021

Who plans what for Hacktoberfest 2021?

Let the plans and discussion run here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to try and actually participate this year. I wanted to last year but didn’t feel confident enough. I also plan on throwing my own repos into the event, and see if anyone’s interested.

3 Likes

I plan on participating too. I’m newish to Elixir so I’m hoping to get some contributions in with it, but I’d also like to make some towards certain causes. nifty repos, or repos with nice swag :sweat_smile:

I wonder how are the rules gonna be this year after last year disaster :slight_smile:

1 Like

They kept the explicit labels and maintainers are now rewarded for issue triaging just like contributors are for creating the PRs.

2 Likes

What was last year’s disaster? I am curious!

I also plan to contribute to a few Elixir Repos.

I hope GitHub - rockneurotiko/ex_gram: Telegram Bot API low level API and framework opens up some issues. Really like the work there!

Things like How One Guy Ruined #Hacktoberfest2020 #Drama and DigitalOcean's Hacktoberfest is Hurting Open Source. In general, it attracts a lot of very low quality useless PRs to projects that need to be cleaned up. Now, that isn’t really the topic of this thread so I think it should be left at that.

I personally have not taken part (either by labeling or fixing issues) as Hacktoberfest has been GitHub only so far.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that change, where are the rules for that explained? The exercism organisation will not actively participate in the spamtoberfest this year after last years fiasco…

A swarm of very low effort PRs were submitted everywhere and a lot of maintainers complained of spam and the imposition.

I think this year you can only participate on repos that have the hacktoberfest label because of it.