fteschke

fteschke

I use this pattern to handle user input before JS has loaded / hooks have mounted:

<button onclick="this.$clicked = true" phx-hook="MyHook" phx-click={JS.dispatch('clicked')} />
// my_hook.js
mounted() {
  this.el.addEventListener('clicked', () => { ... })

  if (this.el.$clicked) {
    this.js().exec(this.el.getAttribute('phx-click'))
  }
}

This works quite well. But I would prefer a global solution rather than extending each relevant hook.

Ideally:

// app.js
document.querySelectorAll('[onclick="this.$clicked = true]').forEach(el => {
  if (el.$clicked) {
    window.liveSocket.execJS(el, el.getAttribute('phx-click'))
  }
})

However, there is a timing problem.
If phx-click dispatches an event that the hook needs to handle, the hook must have been mounted (attached it’s event listener) first.

So I want to delay my app.js code until all hooks have been mounted.
Is there any way to do this (I was hoping for a phx:all-hooks-mounted event)?
Or is there an entirely different approach to achieving this?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You could probably do phx-mounted={JS.dispatch("maybe-clicked")}

fteschke

fteschke OP

Afaict phx-mounted is executed for element A before hook for element B has mounted.
So I can’t use this as a global indicator of “all hooks have mounted”.
Instead, I would have to determine if an element is within a hook, and whether that hook has already been mounted.
I reckon that’s possible, just way more fiddly than I would like. And again, probably have to instrument each hook, or at least HTML where hook is referenced, individually.

fteschke

fteschke OP

Maybe a mutation observer on all [phx-hook] elements, and wait until el.phxPrivate.mounted == true? Although I doubt the observer triggers for non-HTML attributes (phxPrivate).

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Why do you need that? You’re already sending individual clicks to the server.

fteschke

fteschke OP

Sorry, I’m not talking about sending the clicks to the server. I should have been clearer about this.
This is about client-side handling only.
E.g. user clicks dropdown button or sidebar toggle button before JS bundle has loaded.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I still do not see why that would require some global tracking.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You could just disable the whole thing until LiveView is fully ready on the page. From then on it’s business as usual.

Not the most elegant solution but I’ve very rarely stumbled upon users who would nervously click on the page 0.5s after they typed an URL.

fteschke

fteschke OP

Agreed, disabling the interactive elements would work. Best without any visual style changes (suppress any button ‘disabled’ styles) to avoid flickering on page load.

Similar line of thought: Optimize page load times (small JS bundle, chunk splitting, …, check caching).

Even so, if any one has thoughts in case above is not enough, please let me know.

fteschke

fteschke OP

I want to handle click events that occurred before the JS bundle loaded.
Such events may be handled by JS hooks.
For the event to be properly handled, the respective hook may have to be mounted and have registered its event listeners.

So before I can “retry” the phx-click handler for each element that was early clicked, I need to make sure that any hook that may be listening to events dispatched from that phx-click has been mounted.
I can solve this problem per element/hook by knowing which elements and hooks are related.
But I would rather have a global solution that doesn’t require this level of knowledge. In that case I think the easiest solution is to wait until all hooks have mounted before “retrying” the phx-click handlers.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews