ghenry

ghenry

Hi all,

A beginner here. I have the following plug code from an example Auth0 repo:

 def call(conn, _default) do
    with {:ok, token} when is_binary(token) <- get_token(conn),
         {:ok, claims} <- Token.verify_and_validate(token) do
      conn
      |> assign(:claims, claims)
    else
      {:error, error} -> handle_error_response(conn, error)
    end
  end

  defp get_token(conn) do
    case get_req_header(conn, "authorization") do
      ["Bearer " <> token] -> {:ok, token}
      ["bearer " <> token] -> {:ok, token}
      [] -> {:error, :missing_token}
      ["Bearer"] -> {:error, :invalid_token}
      _ -> {:error, :invalid_token}
    end
  end

  defp handle_error_response(conn, error) do
    IO.inspect(error, label: "error")

    conn
    |> put_status(401)
    |> json(%{error: error})
    |> halt()
  end
end

Now all works as expected until I use an expired JWT, which gives a more complex error message:

error: [message: "Invalid token", claim: "exp", claim_val: 1675775785]
[info] Sent 500 in 59ms
[error] #PID<0.13753.0> running Phoenix.Endpoint.SyncCodeReloadPlug (connection #PID<0.13752.0>, stream id 1) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: GET /api/phone-numbers/44790323266
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Jason.Encoder not implemented for {:message, "Invalid token"} of type Tuple, Jason.Encoder protocol must always be explicitly implemented. This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Any, Atom, BitString, Date, DateTime, Decimal, Ecto.Association.NotLoaded, Ecto.Schema.Metadata, Float, Integer, Jason.Fragment, Jason.OrderedObject, List, Map, MixAudit.Advisory, MixAudit.Dependency, MixAudit.Report, MixAudit.Vulnerability, NaiveDateTime, Sentrypeer.SentrypeerEvents.SentrypeerEvent, Time
        (jason 1.4.0) lib/jason.ex:213: Jason.encode_to_iodata!/2
        (phoenix 1.7.0-rc.2) lib/phoenix/controller.ex:346: Phoenix.Controller.json/2

using a malformed JWT just creates a single atom error like :signature_error.

What docs do you recommend I read to understand how to pick apart/pattern match/case the error getting passed into handle_error_response so json() can handle it?

I tried:

    if Map.has_key(error, :message) do
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error["message"]})
      |> halt()
    else
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error})
      |> halt()
    end

but that’s not right and even if I got the if right, it smells funny.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me.

Gavin.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

ghenry

ghenry OP

This kind of works until a simple message is first:

defp handle_error_response(conn, error) do
    IO.inspect(error, label: "error")

    if List.keymember?(error, :message, 0) do
      Logger.info("Complex: " <> error[:message])
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error[:message]})
      |> halt()
    else
      Logger.error("Normal: " <> error)
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error})
      |> halt()
    end
  end

then I get:

** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:

  * 3rd argument: not a list

        (stdlib 4.2) :lists.keymember(:message, 1, :signature_error)
        (elixir 1.14.3) lib/list.ex:412: List.keymember?/3
        (sentrypeer 0.1.0) lib/sentrypeer/auth/authorize.ex:56: Sentrypeer.Auth.Authorize.handle_error_response/2
ghenry

ghenry OP

Got it, but ugly:


  defp handle_error_response(conn, error) do
    if is_atom(error) do
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error})
      |> halt()
    else
      conn
      |> put_status(401)
      |> json(%{error: error[:message], reason: error[:claim]})
      |> halt()
    end
  end

Can you still suggest a better way or pointers for docs for me to read about the right type of pattern to use?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

What’s consuming the result of handle_error_response?

If you only need error for debugging purposes, this would avoid JSON-encoding headaches:

  defp handle_error_response(conn, error) do
    conn
    |> put_status(401)
    |> json(%{error: inspect(error)})
    |> halt()
  end

Then error in the JSON result will reliably be a string, regardless of what sort of error_reason Joken gives.

ghenry

ghenry OP

Just API clients trying to auth using a JWT received from a m2m client creds OAuth 2.0 Auth0 session like so:


  scope "/api", SentrypeerWeb do
    pipe_through [:api, :api_authorization]

    resources "/events", SentrypeerEventController, only: [:create]
    get "/phone-numbers/:phone_number", SentrypeerEventController, :check_phone_number
    get "/ip-addresses/:ip_address", SentrypeerEventController, :check_ip_address
  end

so your way looks easier. Thanks!

ghenry

ghenry OP

Actually, inspect is a bit messy with the atoms showing etc.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews