sheharyarn

sheharyarn

The Issue

There are a lot of guides available for handling error tuples in Absinthe but next to zero for exceptions.

This is important because there are always unforseen issues which might raise an exception and return a response that will not conform to the graphql response/error spec. This can be especially problematic when GraphQL clients like apollo automatically batch requests, and an exception in one query will crash the whole BEAM web process causing all queries to fail.


Existing Approaches

My first thought was to wrap the resolvers in a try/rescue block using middleware and the only two links I came across, also suggested a similar approach:

  • Elixir Forum: How to use Absinthe.MiddleWare to catch exception?

    • @benwilson512 recommends replacing the Resolution middleware with a custom one that executes the resolver in a try block

    • This would not handle exceptions in other middleware (but maybe that’s how it should be)

  • Blog Post: Handling Elixir Exceptions in Absinthe using Middleware

    • Tries to do the same thing, but doesn’t follow the Absinthe.Middleware behaviour spec

    • Instead wraps all existing middleware in anonymous functions

    • We also lose insight into the enabled middleware and their configs when inspecting them because of this


My Solution

My approach is a bit inspired from the blog post, but I’ve tried to follow the behaviour and use middleware tuple spec instead of anonymous functions:

Middleware Definition:

defmodule MyApp.ExceptionMiddleware do
  @behaviour Absinthe.Middleware
  @default_error {:error, :internal_server_error}
  @default_config []

  @spec wrap(Absinthe.Middleware.spec()) :: Absinthe.Middleware.spec()
  def wrap(middleware_spec) do
    {__MODULE__, [handle: middleware_spec]}
  end

  @impl true
  def call(resolution, handle: middleware_spec) do
    execute(middleware_spec, resolution)
  rescue
    error ->
      Sentry.capture_exception(error, __STACKTRACE__)
      Absinthe.Resolution.put_result(resolution, @default_error)
  end

  # Handle all the ways middleware can be defined

  defp execute({{module, function}, config}, resolution) do
    apply(module, function, [resolution, config])
  end

  defp execute({module, config}, resolution) do
    apply(module, :call, [resolution, config])
  end

  defp execute(module, resolution) when is_atom(module) do
    apply(module, :call, [resolution, @default_config])
  end

  defp execute(fun, resolution) when is_function(fun, 2) do
    fun.(resolution, @default_config)
  end
end

Applying it in Schema:

The wrap/1 method is called on all query/mutation middleware

def middleware(middleware, _field, %{identifier: type}) when type in [:query, :mutation] do
  Enum.map(middleware, &ExceptionMiddleware.wrap/1)
end

Result:

Which converts them to this:

[
  {ExceptionMiddleware, handle: {AuthMiddleware, [access: :admin]}},
  {ExceptionMiddleware, handle: {{Resolution, :call}, &some_resolver/3}},
  {ExceptionMiddleware, handle: {Subscription, []}},
  {ExceptionMiddleware, handle: &anon_middleware/2},
]

Question(s)

I’m still not fully confident in my approach because this feels a bit hacky and a misuse of absinthe’s middleware. So, I’m interested in getting answers to a couple of questions:

  • What other possible approaches are there? Is using Absinthe middleware the right choice after all?
  • If so, does it make sense to wrap all middleware or just replace the Absinthe.Resolution middleware?
  • And what’s the canonical way of doing that?


Posted in parallel with this Stackoverflow Question.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews