Handling focus with JS commands - is there a way to conditionally trigger the phx-window-keydown only if that modal is open?

I have a function component for a modal that uses JS commands to handle opening and closing the modal. When the modal is closed, I want to return focus to the trigger that was used to open the modal initially. I have this working except when a user presses the Escape key to close the modal when there are multiple modals on the same page.

Here’s a simplified version of my function component and the JS commands:

def modal(assigns) do
  ~H"""
  <.focus_wrap id={@id} class="modal">
    <div role="dialog" aria-modal="true" phx-window-keydown={close_modal(@id)} phx-key="escape">
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    </div>
  </.focus_wrap>
  """
end

def close_modal(id) do
  %JS{}
  |> JS.remove_class("overflow-hidden", to: "body")
  |> JS.transition("is-closing", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.remove_class("is-opened", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.focus_first(to: "[data-role=#{id}-trigger]")
end

Because there are multiple modals on the same page and they all have phx-window-keydown, they all get run when a user hits the Escape key. It seems like the last modal on the page is the one that gets the focus moves to its trigger, even if it wasn’t the modal that was opened.

Is there a way to conditionally trigger the phx-window-keydown only if that modal is open? I haven’t had any luck so far. I’m using phx-window-keydown since I want it to fire from any element inside the modal, but maybe that’s not the right way of going about it? Open to any ideas! :thinking:

I know I could dispatch a custom JS event to handle this on the JavaScript side, but was hoping to leverage the same close_modal function I’m using on the close button (not shown in the code above) so it’s consistent.

1 Like

I recently had the same problem while migrating my dropdowns from Alipine to JS commands.

I ended up removing the phx-window-keydown and in the hook, adding an event listener on keydown when key is Escape. Then event triggered the JS I had defined for phx-click-away on the dropdown panel, using this.liveSocket.execJS.

If you look at livebeats they click the document body and focus the element in the menu(?) Hook.

2 Likes

Have you tried using push_focus and pop_focus to push the focus to the modal when opening it from the trigger and popping it back to the trigger on modal close?

I’ve never used these functions, but they seem worth a try in this case.

1 Like

Oh interesting approach! I hadn’t considered executing the JS from another binding that does the same thing.

I had initially tried push_focus and pop_focus and they didn’t work, but I must have had something else wrong; just tried again this morning and they worked for what I need!

Here are the open and close functions for reference:

def open_modal(id) do
  %JS{}
  |> JS.push_focus()
  |> JS.add_class("overflow-hidden", to: "body")
  |> JS.remove_class("is-closing", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.transition("is-opening", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.add_class("is-opened", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.focus_first(to: "##{id}")
end

def close_modal(id) do
  %JS{}
  |> JS.remove_class("overflow-hidden", to: "body")
  |> JS.transition("is-closing", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.remove_class("is-opened", to: "##{id}")
  |> JS.pop_focus()
end
2 Likes