chadcf
I’m attempting to gracefully handle failures from an api call and am struggling a bit with how to do this. Take for example the following:
case HTTPoison.get("https://url.com") do
{:ok, %HTTPoison.Response{status_code: 200, body: body}} ->
...
{:error, %HTTPoison.Error{} = error} ->
...
end
Works great for one real world test case. What I’m struggling with is two things:
- Under what circumstances does HTTPoison return :error vs :ok? I can’t find this anywhere. I don’t know if it’s possible that it would ever return :ok with a status code of 500, or if it will always return :error on any status code > 400 or what… Do I need to match on both :error as well as :ok with a status code > 400 to catch failures?
- I cannot for the life of me figure out how to test this. We’re using Bypass in our tests, and I can have it return a
Plug.Conn.respwith a 500 status code but the actual response still comes back with an :ok and not :error. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Bypass to return an :error response.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
When the server sent a reply you’ll get an
:oktuple, if the request timed out, DNS couldn’t be resolved or otherwise a connection couldn’t be established, then you’ll see:errortuple returned, also if the reply sent by the server is not parsable as HTTP.al2o3cr
The underlying Hackney library can either return
{:ok, status_code, headers, client_ref}or{:error, reason}. My interpretation of that is that you’ll get an:okreply any time the connection is sufficiently successful to have a response code from the server, and:errorwhen something goes so wrong (network failure, nonsensical server response, etc) that the response code isn’t available.wojtekmach
See the example from README where
Bypass.down/1can be used to take the TCP server down, you should get an{:error, _}response then. Your mocked response may also doProcess.sleep(:infinity), that should trigger a timeout somewhere too.