rbino

rbino

Ash Core Team

Some context to avoid the XY Problem: I’m trying to expose some state which lives in an external API as a resource field.

Let’s say I have a User resource and I want to retrieve the URL for their Gravatar given their email. My understanding is that I can do this with a calculation

  calculations do
    calculate :gravatar_url, :string, User.Calculations.Gravatar
  end
defmodule MyApp.User.Calculations.Gravatar do
  use Ash.Calculation
  alias MyApp.GravatarAPI

  def calculate(users, _opts, _context) do
    Enum.map(users, fn user ->
      case GravatarAPI.fetch_url(user.email) do
        {:ok, url} -> url
        {:error, _} -> nil
      end
    end)
  end
end

The problem with this solution is that if I retrieve a list of users using, e.g., GraphQL, the current implementation just silently returns nil without letting the user know that, e.g., the API request failed for a specific user (which is something which can potentially be shown in GraphQL errors).

On the other hand, if I return {:error, :something} if anything fails a single failed API request makes the calculation fails for all the users.

Is there a way around this? Am I using the wrong Ash tool?

The other possibility I thought of is using a resource with no data layer instead of a calculation. n that case, if I call both Simple.set_data and Ash.Query.add_error does the whole query fails (so nothing gets exposed from GraphQL) or is the partial data shown alongside the error?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

This is a good question :). While I think there is something we could do in the future to make this more seamless, if you have a calculation that can partially fail, the best way to do it is to use an embedded type for the return type.

calculate :gravatar_url, :map, User.Calculations.Gravatar do
  constraints fields:  [
    success: [
      type: :boolean,
      allow_nil?: false
    ],
    url: [
      type: :string,
    ]
  ]  
end
rbino

rbino OP

Ash Core Team

Thanks, this is indeed an interesting way to go.

I still have to explore how AshGraphql exposes errors, and see if I can expose an error in the retrieval from the API in a similar way

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yeah…honestly this is probably something that we should add as a feature of calculations, so that calculations should be allowed to fail. Fail-able calculations would have something like field: %Ash.CalculationResult{result: "result", errors: []}. Then AshGraphql could use that :slight_smile:

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The recent refactor of calculation loading would likely make this a relatively simple thing to support, but it would take some time/effort still.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews