nickewing
I have run into an issue while testing a simple Phoenix channel and using Phoenix.Presence.
It looks to me like the tests completes and the Presence process notices that a user has disconnected as a result. It then attempts to fetch the new user list but at that point the database connection has already been closed for that test. Is there any way to handle this sort of situation?
I tried calling Presence.unlink from within the test but was unable to get any other results.
I’m seeing the following error:
09:32:22.414 [error] Task #PID<0.580.0> started from MyApp.Presence terminating
** (stop) exited in: GenServer.call(#PID<0.577.0>, {:checkout, #Reference<0.0.5.2491>, true, 15000}, 5000)
** (EXIT) shutdown: "owner #PID<0.576.0> exited while client #PID<0.579.0> is still running with: shutdown"
(db_connection) lib/db_connection/ownership/proxy.ex:32: DBConnection.Ownership.Proxy.checkout/2
(db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:919: DBConnection.checkout/2
(db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:741: DBConnection.run/3
(db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:584: DBConnection.prepare_execute/4
(ecto) lib/ecto/adapters/postgres/connection.ex:80: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres.Connection.prepare_execute/5
(ecto) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:243: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.sql_call/6
(ecto) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:431: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute_and_cache/7
(ecto) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:130: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.execute/5
(ecto) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:35: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.all/4
(my_app) lib/my_app/presence.ex:17: MyApp.Presence.fetch/2
(phoenix) lib/phoenix/presence.ex:199: anonymous fn/5 in Phoenix.Presence.handle_diff/5
(stdlib) lists.erl:1263: :lists.foldl/3
(phoenix) lib/phoenix/presence.ex:197: anonymous fn/4 in Phoenix.Presence.handle_diff/5
(elixir) lib/task/supervised.ex:85: Task.Supervised.do_apply/2
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Function: #Function<1.96140178/0 in Phoenix.Presence.handle_diff/5>
Args: []
Using this channel module:
defmodule MyApp.ExampleChannel do
use MyApp.Web, :channel
def join(_channel_name, _params, socket) do
send self(), :after_join
{:ok, socket}
end
def handle_info(:after_join, socket) do
current_user = socket.assigns.current_user
{:ok, _} = Presence.track(socket, current_user.id, %{})
{:noreply, socket}
end
end
this presence module:
defmodule MyApp.Presence do
import Ecto.Query
alias MyApp.User
alias MyApp.Repo
use Phoenix.Presence, otp_app: :MyApp,
pubsub_server: MyApp.PubSub
def fetch(_topic, entries) do
query =
from u in User,
where: u.id in ^Map.keys(entries),
select: {u.id, u}
users = query |> Repo.all |> Enum.into(%{})
for { key, %{ metas: metas } } <- entries, into: %{} do
int_key = String.to_integer(key)
{ key, %{ metas: metas, user: users[int_key] } }
end
end
end
and this channel test:
defmodule MyApp.ExampleChannelTest do
use MyApp.ChannelCase
alias MyApp.ExampleChannel
test 'example' do
user = create_a_user
params = %{ current_user: user }
{:ok, _, socket} = subscribe_and_join(socket("", params), ExampleChannel, "control")
end
end
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
luizpvasc
Hi there
Did you find a solution to this? Has anyone also had this problem?
(Sorry to bring back an old post, but it describes exactly the same issue I’m having.)
luizpvasc
As a temporary solution, adding this code at the end of the channel test
makes the
fetchfunction in Presence be called before the test finishes, which works with the Ecto’s sandbox shared strategy. If I remove the:timer.sleepcall, the error continues.nickewing
I never actually found a solution for this, but with our app we ended up removing the
fetchfunction entirely. Now we just return user IDs and match them up with user data sent via other channels.sorentwo
This is the correct solution in my experience. You must leave before the test is complete while the sandbox connection is still checked out—it also has to be synchronous to enable automatic sharing, as there isn’t any way to allow the presence process access to the test’s db connection.
The sleep doesn’t have to be nearly so long as 200ms though. The helper function I have uses a 10ms delay and doesn’t flicker on low powered systems like CI.
luizpvasc
That’s great to hear, thanks. Just for fun, sleeping for 4ms ~ 5ms works about 50% of the time on my machine.
I’ll try to submit a pull request for the Phoenix Presence docs with the info from this thread
rhcarvalho
Reviving the thread because a) there’s been more recent advancements that can help anyone landing here and b) I still have trouble making tests involving
Phoenix.Presencedeterministic.In my particular case, my
fetcherdoesn’t use the DB but calls an external API, which I’m trying to mock withTestServer(context TestServer - No fuzz mocking of third-party services - #6 by rhcarvalho), but I believe the underlying trouble is the same.First, summarizing the knowledge from the thread, in 2017 @luizpvasc and @sorentwo suggested something like:
In late 2019, 2020, this GitHub issue brings more light into the problem:
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/issues/3619#issuecomment-601127561
Quoting José Valim:
The conversation goes on and a new API has been added along with some docs:
In 2021, @ruslandoga notices something I’ve experienced as well in practice, that the new
Presence.fetchers_pids()might pick up an empty list and so adds some sleep time before calling it:https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/issues/3619#issuecomment-782728849
I used GitHub Search to see what people are doing in the open: Code search results · GitHub
The first hit for me is LiveBeat which does use a 100ms sleep:
https://github.com/fly-apps/live_beats/blob/ac9780472e7019af274110a1cf71250a8d40c986/test/support/conn_case.ex#L39-L54
Second hit is NervesHub that just follows the documentation and has no sleep:
https://github.com/nerves-hub/nerves_hub_web/blob/2a8cd770e695cd518bfc76dc4b88f4ff08670bff/test/nerves_hub_web/live/new_ui/devices/show_test.exs#L27-L32
Going down the list I find both cases of with and without sleep, with different amounts of sleep. And found this commit message from @gpreston which reinforces people don’t know what to do
I don’t know what to do… the sleep time still feels non-deterministic, racy.
https://github.com/gcpreston/cuberacer_live/commit/5c77674f568dfb64151739d885352f28b30fcb7e
TODO:
fetchers_pidWould love to learn more about this corner of Elixir. There are so many pieces involved in making Presence work that understanding how everything fits together (and points of synchronization) is no easy feat
rhcarvalho
After applying what LiveBeats is doing, sleep +
fetchers_pids()+ wait for termination, and running tests with--repeat-until-failure, I get a feeling that it works consistently in the number offetchercalls I’m observing.(Also starting the BEAM multiple times with a shell loop in case that would make a difference)
If I comment out the
Process.sleep(100)and run the same as above, I get the same behavior.So I don’t know if the sleep is actually helpful. I had an old comment in my code base documenting that previous attempts at waiting for
fetchers_pids()without the sleep didn’t work consistently.FYI I’m on Elixir 1.18.4, Phoenix 1.7.21.