seancribbs

seancribbs

I’m proud to announce the 1.0 release of Hardhat, an opinionated, production-ready HTTP client library for Elixir services.

  • Opinionated: includes default behavior on top of basic HTTP client semantics, some of which is required

  • Production-ready: the behavior included is focused on client-side resilience and has been proven effective in production settings

  • HTTP: only focused on HTTP 1/2 clients, not gRPC or other protocols

  • For Elixir services: an effective component for large Elixir applications that interact with other services in a micro-services architecture or consume third-party HTTP APIs

I strongly encourage you to read the main documentation page for more details about usage and motivations behind the creation of the library.

I have written this library and its documentation over the last four months mostly while live-streaming on Twitch. I’d like to thank all of my friends, former colleagues, and lurkers who helped out along the way.

Drop any questions you have below, I’ll try to answer them as I have time!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

hst337

hst337

Great job. Batteries included solution is cool, though I am not a fan of Tesla or middleware based solutions

seancribbs

seancribbs OP

Thank you!

For me, the choice was as easy now as it was the first time I wrote Hardhat. Tesla and its middleware pattern gives the most flexibility to construct the client in the way that I wanted while letting consumers of the library extend and customize to their needs. That said, it does have downsides, especially when functionality is cross-cutting or interacts in surprising ways (like retries and circuit-breaking).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews