Has anyone tried installing Mycroft AI under Nerves?

The Mycroft AI home automation suite has a RasPi distro called Picroft:

Picroft is specifically packaged to run on a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4. It is built on top of the official Raspbian Buster Lite and is available as a disk image ready to be burned to a microSD card.

Has anyone has tried creating and running an equivalent software stack under Nerves?

-r

1 Like

At the risk of overstating the obvious, it seems to me that home automation is an ideal use case for Nerves:

• Supervision trees can keep things running in the face of unexpected hardware problems, transient power failures, etc.

• A backup boot partition can let home-based developers fall back to more reliable images if need be.

• Being able to leverage distribution can improve performance, robustness, etc.

What am I missing?

-r

2 Likes

I believe that Nerves is used by at least three companies to do some kind of home automation. There might be more. My company, SmartRent, uses it in hardware it sells to rental property owners.

Over the years, there have also been people using Nerves to automate various things in their houses. Sadly, I don’t think this work has been shared except on the Nerves slack which is lost to history.

I am not aware of anyone installing Mycroft AI. I heard that some people have integrated with HomeKit. Also, SmartRent has an open source library called Grizzly for using Z-Wave.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I read about Grizzly, but Z-Wave isn’t directly usable with most Alexa devices. Also, Mycroft AI seems like a much more complete offering than Grizzly.

FWIW, my interest was spurred by some news reports saying (roughly) that Amazon is losing a pile of money on Alexa and may shut it down or at least restructure the financial model. This made me wonder about possible Open Source ways to keep our devices going if Amazon bails out.

-r

1 Like

I realize that I forgot about HAP in my previous post. HAP is an Elixir library for building HomeKit-compatible accessories. It has instructions for using it with Nerves.

1 Like