Has blogging about elixir or other tech helped you get a job?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if having a blog and writing about elixir, creating tutorials and guides or maybe writing about some other tech helped you find a job or a better job as a developer?

3 Likes

I’m super curious about the answer, but not for me.

I had one post that made it to the first page of hackernews once. Wrote 2-4 times a year for about 5 years. I’m under the impression that blogging follows a ziphian rewards follow a ziphian distribution or maybe even exponential dropoff.

I used to host a few blog posts on my site (now offline) about BEAM, but I never promoted them anywhere. However, posting whatever helpful I can on these very forums lead to me getting a job working with Elixir.

Of course, it might be that the existence of those blog posts helped at that point as well, after someone proactively took a look.

My general takeaway is that doing something of value (however small) and making it visible (as opposed to a private blog one never shares) can be a great recipe for opening new doors, but that’s just part of the puzzle. I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time, and I doubt my experience can be generalized.

Edit: it’s worth adding that writing posts, guides, tutorials and such is still valuable even if you never shared them with anyone! Figuring out how to explain a concept to someone else is a skill, and you’ll generally learn a lot doing it.

7 Likes