mbklein

mbklein

We’re considering using AWS Aurora Serverless PostgresSQL for our developer environment. I’ve already determined that it will meet our needs as far as Postgres compatibility, but I’m looking for help getting over the last inconvenience. Whenever the DB is idle for a certain amount of time, it spins down completely. It spins itself back up when the next connection attempt is made, but it takes ~20-30 seconds. What this means is that when I start my Elixir/Ecto/Postgrex application, I get a whole lot of DBConnection errors. I can then wait 20 seconds and restart and everything works fine.

One other thing that’s probably relevant is that the port is open and the cluster is listening even when it’s spun all the way down. That is, I can do the following:

  • See cluster capacity at 0
  • Run nc -v DB_HOST 5432 on my client, and immediately get Ncat: Connected to IP_ADDR:5432 in return
  • See cluster capacity spinning up to 2 just from that port connection

So I’m guessing that Postgrex isn’t failing to connect; it’s just failing to get a response in a timeframe that makes DBConnection happy.

I’ve set timeout, connect_timeout, and handshake_timeout to 60 seconds, but I’m still getting errors from GenServers and other processes that start up and immediately try to query the Repo, e.g.,

** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) connection not available and request was dropped from queue after 2918ms. This means requests are coming in and your connection pool cannot serve them fast enough. You can address this by:

  1. Ensuring your database is available and that you can connect to it
  2. Tracking down slow queries and making sure they are running fast enough
  3. Increasing the pool_size (although this increases resource consumption)
  4. Allowing requests to wait longer by increasing :queue_target and :queue_interval

I have no idea what appropriate queue_target and queue_interval settings would be for this particular case. I’d also love to be able to display some kind of “Waiting for database to spin up…” message.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

joaoevangelista

joaoevangelista

Reading the docs, I got the idea that the queue_ options are for preventing overload, but found a interesting one: after_connect_timeout

The maximum time allowed to perform function specified by :after_connect option (default: 15_000 ).

There is also a configure option, that you can use to print messages and reconfigure before any attempt to connect:

A function to run before every connect attempt to dynamically configure the options, either a 1-arity fun, {module, function, args} with options prepended to args or nil where only returned options are passed to connect callback (default: nil )

Here is the full docs on the options for DBConnect: DBConnection — db_connection v2.10.1

mbklein

mbklein OP

Ah, so if after_connect blocks, I could use it to wait for the connection to actually return something, with an after_connect_timeout of 60 seconds or so. Worth a try. Thank you!

elixirium

elixirium

@mbklein I’ve run into similar challenges. How did you solve this problem?

mbklein

mbklein OP

I haven’t really solved it yet. I’ve got an acceptable (for our purposes) workaround, but it’s not great. In my application’s Ecto.Repo implementation, I added two functions:

  def wait_for_connection do
    Logger.info("Waiting for active database connection...")
    canary() |> WaitForIt.wait(timeout: 60_000, frequency: 1_000)
  end

  defp canary do
    case __MODULE__.query("SELECT 1") do
      {:ok, %{rows: [[1]]}} -> :ok
      _ -> :error
    end
  rescue
    _ in DBConnection.ConnectionError -> :error
  end

Then I updated my Application module to start the repo alone under a DynamicSupervisor and call its wait_for_connection() before starting any of the application’s other child processes. I still get a lot of junk in the log while it waits for the DB to spin up, but it works reasonably well.

Note: This solution requires the wait_for_it hex package.

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

What about waiting for Postgres to spin up before starting the application? If you’re using docker-compose have one of the containers talk to Postgres until it’s up and once it does trigger the application to start up.

mbklein

mbklein OP

I’m not running that way. Everything is running on AWS. The database autoscales – it spins down when it’s idle for more than a particular period of time, and the only way to spin it back up is to attempt a connection.

I could probably have the process that starts my app wait for the connection instead of having ecto do it, but it would be great if the app can do it all on its own.

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

Ah I see. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what is happening in your case. The error you showed in your first post means that your process tried to get a connection from the pool but it waited too long and stopped trying:

** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) connection not available and request was dropped from queue after 2918ms. This means requests are coming in and your connection pool cannot serve them fast enough. You can address this by:

I’m trying to figure out what could be blocking the pool. When you got this error did you have any after_connect callbacks on your connections? Your connection is a GenServer and after_connect sends a cast message to the connection before returning to the caller. So it blocks the connection but not the app from continuing.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews