ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad

I’m having some difficulty adding the npm package “three” to my phx project.

Specifically, I am getting blank screen on the /3D route that I have set, however, I am getting the hello word. The div seems to be recognized, but I think there may be something wrong with esbuild?

I’ve tried vendoring three.js using the minified link here with no luck either: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mrdoob/three.js/dev/build/three.min.js

My current config can be found in the image attached.

I am more familiar with Phx Backend than front end, but would still consider myself a beginner - especially as it relates to adding JS deps.

Any help is appreciated :heart:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

03juan

03juan

Hi Christopher, welcome to the forum.

The screen grab is too low res to see anything, it would be better if you posted the relevant code directly as text.

ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad OP

oops! You’re right.

Let me try that again

ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad OP

Updated the image

ChrisYammine

ChrisYammine

it looks like your func createThreeJSScene is never called, have you tried invoking it?

ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad OP

I ended up vendoring three js in assets/vendor/three.min.js

Then I created a Hook in my app.js as follows:

import * as THREE from "../vendor/three.min.js";

window.THREE = THREE;

let Hooks = {};
Hooks.ThreeInit = {
  mounted() {
    if (this.el.dataset.initialized === "false") {
      this.initThreeScene();
      this.el.dataset.initialized = "true";
    }
  },
  initThreeScene() {
    // Initialize your three.js scene here, using `THREE` object.
    // For example:
    const scene = new THREE.Scene();
    const camera = new THREE.PerspectiveCamera(75, window.innerWidth / window.innerHeight, 0.1, 1000);
    const renderer = new THREE.WebGLRenderer();

    renderer.setSize(window.innerWidth, window.innerHeight);
    this.el.appendChild(renderer.domElement);

    const geometry = new THREE.BoxGeometry();
    const material = new THREE.MeshBasicMaterial({ color: 0x00ff00 });
    const cube = new THREE.Mesh(geometry, material);

    scene.add(cube);
    camera.position.z = 5;

    const animate = function () {
      requestAnimationFrame(animate);

      cube.rotation.x += 0.01;
      cube.rotation.y += 0.01;

      renderer.render(scene, camera);
    };

    animate();
  }
};

let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {
  params: {_csrf_token: csrfToken},
  hooks: Hooks,
  dom: {
    onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
      if (from._x_dataStack) {
        window.Alpine.clone(from, to)
      }
    }
  }
})

//other Alpine js stuff here

// connect if there are any LiveViews on the page
liveSocket.connect()

Then tried calling the phx-hook in my three_js_live.ex as follows:

defmodule PortfolioWeb.ThreeJSLive do
  use Phoenix.LiveView

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, socket}
  end



  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <h1>Hello, World!</h1>
    <div id="three-container" phx-hook="ThreeInit"></div>
    """
  end
end

At the moment, the only thing that renders is the Hello World

03juan

03juan

This won’t succeed because it returns undefined when the attribute is missing.

However you also will need to add phx-update="ignore" to the element, otherwise your scene will be removed on the next update from the server.

DOM patching & temporary assigns

The “ignore” behaviour is frequently used when you need to integrate with another JS library. Note only the element contents are ignored, its attributes can still be updated.

ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad OP

So, I’ve reduce the mounted() it down to:

mounted() {
    this.initThreeScene();
},

added the following to the

:

defmodule PortfolioWeb.ThreeJSLive do
  use Phoenix.LiveView

  def mount(_params, _session, socket) do
    {:ok, socket}
  end



  def render(assigns) do
    ~L"""
    <h1>Hello, World!</h1>
    <div id="three-container" phx-hook="ThreeInit" phx-update="ignore"></div>
    """
  end
end

Still no cube unfortunately.

03juan

03juan

Import from three.module.js

I’m curious what version of Phoenix you’re using, since you’re rendering the view with a ~L leex sigil instead of ~H? Did you not get something like this error during the asset build pipeline?

[WARNING] Import "Scene" will always be undefined because the file "vendor/three.min.js" has no exports [import-is-undefined]

    js/app.js:14:28:
      14 |     const scene = new THREE.Scene();
         |                             ~~~~~
ChristopherKRad

ChristopherKRad OP

I’m running 0.17.5 Live view & 1.6.13 Phoenix.

I do not see such an error on my side.

Is it possible for me to view the project you’ve created so that I can figure out what went wrong on my end?

03juan

03juan

Here’s a link to my github repo 03juan/three_cube

My previous answer was actually misleading, sorry about that. I actually got the error after installing the three module from npm into the vendor directory, and then importing from ../vendor/node_modules/three/build/three.min.js, not directly from ../vendor/three.min.js. I assumed that the error would also show in the second case but didn’t check before posting.

Have a look at app.js in the repo. In its current state importing from node_modules I get the error when building the asset, and there is no cube. However using the import in the second line does show the cube, and the console only shows the warning:
Scripts "build/three.js" and "build/three.min.js" are deprecated with r150+, and will be removed with r160. Please use ES Modules or alternatives

I tried to build the bundle with esbuild 0.14.29 used in Phoenix 1.6.13 and that also works when importing three.min.js directly from vendor but not from within node_modules.

Not sure why it works with one but not the other. My guess is something to do with it being a inside node package, but don’t have enough experience with js bundling to really know. :thinking:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews